Author Topic: Nicholas Wilson, Baltinglass  (Read 24272 times)

Offline blueherron

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholas Wilson, Baltinglass
« on: Monday 09 May 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
I am descended from probably at least three Nicholas Wilsons from Baltinglass.  The last Nicholas Wilson, my great grandfather, was born August 8, 1867 in Baltinglass and married Elizabeth Perry in Dublin in 1893.

His father was a Dairyman in Baltinglass, born 1818 and died 1881.  His father, also Nicholas, was likely born in 1787 and died 1873. 

Any connection with anybody?
Dodd Wilson Kyle Burns Byrnes Wray Perry Belton Matthews Hendy Bublick Giese

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Wilson, Baltinglass
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
i dont descend from a nicholas wilson but i am just starting to investigate my family of wilsons who it appears come from baltinglass. i have anthony wilson marrying sarah thornton in 1831  in ossarry discese, leinster. they  have

joseph 1834
sarah jane 1836
anne 1839
james 1841
anthony 1846
kerzia 1848
eliza 1850
isabella 1853

they end up in liverpool in 1861 jsut giving places of birth as wicklow

sarah jane wilson maries george barrett in baltinglass on 06 dec 1856 according to igi.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
How were you able to connect a marriage in the Diocese of Ossary with a family living in Baltinglass which is in the Diocese of Ferns ?

The Diocese of Ossary includes parts of counties Kilkenny, Laois and Offaly

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Shane, the references to birth in Wicklow for the definite family in question here, as well as the names involved, lead to the Baltinglass area.  You can see what seems to provide at least good evidence in this BBC thread:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhistory/NF2233810?thread=8253749

It would be great if you could add any leads.  RCB library has no Baltinglass COI records even though rootsireland.ie has it in the dropdown list of parishes.

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
I meant to say, the Ossory reference could be an error.  It's just one if those individually-submitted non-verifiable IGI records which are often inaccurate.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately historic Church of Ireland records for the parish of Baltinglass do not survive.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
The wording for the place of marriage on that IGI record is a bit strange - usually people would mention a specific parish, the name of the church or the town, rather than something vague like the Diocese and Province.

Pity there's no name of contact details for the submitter to see if they have a valid source for this, or if it's just an estimate based on later documents.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
sarah jane 1836
sarah jane wilson maries george barrett in baltinglass on 06 dec 1856 according to igi.

luckily this marriage is included in civil records, so you can order a cert for it ... cert will show additional details such as place of marriage, places of residence for the bride and groom, father's names and occupations, names of witnesses etc..

Name: George Barrett
  Registration district:   Baltinglass
  Event type: Marriage
  Year: 1856
  Volume:2 / Page : 416

Name : Sarah Wilson
  [same registration references as George]

Note - based on the references the marriage took place somewhere in the district of Baltinglass, but it could have been in another parish in the district - e.g. Boystown, Donaghmore, Dunlavin etc

see :
   Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 July 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
Yes that's also on familysearch.org (see the BBC thread) and it confirma bride's father's name as Anthony.  Very frustrating for the Wilson descendents that COI records are gone(presumably 1922 Four Courts fire?)