Author Topic: Nicholas Wilson, Baltinglass  (Read 24282 times)

Offline blueherron

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Wilson, Baltinglass
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you vronlady and others for this.  I am sure I have come across this Anthony Wilson at some point (probably through Slaters 1846).  It is quite possible he is related to the Nicholas Wilson line. One Nicholas (I believe my gggrandfather) married a Louisa Hendy in Baltinglass in 1862, so they were in the same area around the same time.

Unfortunately I am away from most of my records for the next few weeks, but from what I have learned the Nicholas Wilsons seem to have been farmers in the area from Baltinglass to Hacketstown, although one record from Griffiths shows a Nicholas Wilson as a landlord.  Some records can also be found in Carlow.
Dodd Wilson Kyle Burns Byrnes Wray Perry Belton Matthews Hendy Bublick Giese

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 July 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Yes that's also on familysearch.org (see the BBC thread) and it confirma bride's father's name as Anthony.  Very frustrating for the Wilson descendents that COI records are gone(presumably 1922 Four Courts fire?)

The reason I mentioned the marriage is because it may be the oldest civil cert you will find for the family, and it should show Sarah's father's occupation - which might show a possible connection to that Inn Keeper in Slater's.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Oh yeah, of course. Sorry, forgot about that.  That would be a good connection if it backed it up.  Apparently he was a provisions dealer in Liverpool in the 1860s so not a million miles away occupation-wise.

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Shane, I also forgot to mention that there is no evidence that Anthony and Sarah got married in Baltinglass itself.  Baltinglass is in Leighlin (rather than Ferns, though maybe dioceses have changed since then?) but it's not terribly far from eastern part of Ossory so maybe Sarah's home area was just into Ossory.  Remember the possible marriage was 1831, well before Anthony is recorded in Baltinglass.

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 July 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
thanks for all the discussion on the family. as stated the marriage is  on igi as a submitted entry and that is one of the reasons i was trying to see if i could narrow it down to a more particular area.

the family  mostly say just  ireland as place of birth but occasionally mention wicklow- my only lead to a particular place is the marriage of daughter sarah jane wilson in baltinglass. incidently her children born in 1860's state dublin as place of birth and i have been able to find their baptisms there so they didnt stay in area long after marriage.

there has also been a new development over on bbc thread so need to look at that to see if that brings up anything new.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 July 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
I think the source of the marriage details submitted to the IGI may have originated from a LDS microfilm titled "Index to Marriage Licence Bonds of Ossory, Ferns & Leighlin (1691-1845)". There are quite a number of submitted marriage records listed in the IGI system just a Diocese mentioned - so it might explain the source.

Reference details given in Ryan's Irish Records as follows :

GO Ms 612-617; SLC Film 100169-72

I dont know what sort of details this film contains, but it might be worth checking out....

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 July 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
can i assume if i gave that reference to a family history centre they could order film for me etc. i have never done that before.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 July 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry ... I've no idea.. probably best to check with them.

They do seem to have a catalogue of the records they hold on the website, but I'm not familiar with searching it.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 July 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
ok thanks will look into that.