Author Topic: Manor Vaughan (Farm?) Co Donegal c1862  (Read 10404 times)

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Manor Vaughan (Farm?) Co Donegal c1862
« on: Monday 09 May 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Where is Manor Vaughan in Co Donegal?

I have a Death Cert in 1912 for a Martha Clancy (nee Piper) who was born about 1862 & died in NSW, Australia in 1912.
On the Death Cert it states that she was the daughter of Robert Piper, Land Steward & Margaret (unknown).
It states that Martha Clancy was born at Manor Vaughan, Donegal, Ireland and has been in NSW for 34 years.

I do have a copy of her Marriage Cert in Lismore NSW (1881) to John Clancy but it gives no details of her parents or her birthplace. Being under 21 she required the consent of George Montgomery, Guardian of the Bride.
I have no idea as to who George was as yet or why she needed a guardian or why she came out from Ireland at a young age.

I have seen reference on the internet to a... "Manor Vaughan, Co Donegal, another of the Clements' family properties in 1864" and was wondering where this may be?

BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manor Vaughan (Farm?) Co Donegal c1862
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
"In the decades before land reform in Ireland the Leitrim Estate was one of the largest in County Donegal, and included large swathes of land in the West of Ireland as well as Donegal, where the family ran their affairs from their seat at Manor Vaughan outside Carrigart. "
http://www.donegallibrary.ie/memory/leitrim.htm

There a possible marriage for Martha's parents- Robert Piper, son of Isaac Piper, married 4 Aug.1859 Aughnish Co. Donegal to Margaret Snodgrass, daughter of William Snodgrass.
Some of their children-
1. Robert born 5 Dec.1864 Ramelton district, Co.Donegal (father given as Robert William Piper)
2. Sarah born 14 May 1867 Kilmacrenan, Donegal
3. Rebecca Ann born 25 June 1869 Kilmacrenan, Donegal (page 284 in civil register)
4. James born 10 Oct.1871 Kilmacrenan, Donegal (page 270 in civil register)
5. Isaac born 11 Feb.1874 Kilmacrenan, Donegal
6. Margaret born 25 Jan.1877 Co.Donegal
7. Catherine born 25 Jan.1877 Fogher
8. George Montgomery born 29 Sept.1878 Fogher, Donegal

https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
John,

My great-grand parents would have been on the Estate at the same time as Martha's family and no-doubt known to each other as the Staff numbers were not that large.

The house and the main part of the estate are still there. You shoud be able to use google earth to locate the main house in the woods to the right of the Milford - Carrigart road [heading into Carrigart] near the lough, about a mile from the village.

The workers lived in cottages on the estate and some of the larger ones are still there in the woods together with some out buildings. These have been made into modern homes and are occupied by families with long connections to the estate.

The main house is still in the family, although not a direct line. Some time in the 40's or 50's it jumped across to the family of one of the wives when the Clements died out.

The man that could have answered most of your questions is unfortunately no longer with us.
Dr Leslie Lucas, he had files [family trees] on the families that came from the parish. His father came off the estate as well.

He gave me a copy of the a photo of some of the workers standing outside the front of the house, taken in the late 1890's. My grandmothers brother, Edward Mills and his son Eddie are on the picture.

I think his papers may be held at Letterkenny library.

My family were indirectly involved in the murder of Lord Leitrim in 1878. The driver, Buchannan  [see link provided by Aghadowey] stayed in my great-grandfathers house the night before he was killed.

And Edward Mills gave evidence at the trial.

If you google Lord Leitrim and read the stories i wouldn't take too much of it in. There are many things he did for the good of the district that were never made public until long after he had died and would counter some of the accusations.

A later Lord Leitrim was very good to the district and was thought so well of a large Cetic cross was erected in Carrigart in rememberance of him.

Rob

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/countylibrary.htm
manorvaughan and dutton estate on micro film third earl of Leitrim 1836
some town land and rents.

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you to aghadowey, Rob & rathmore,
aghadowney...thank you for all the information on the family. Martha Piper could fit into this Presbyterian family although with no birth/Baptism record I can never be sure. I now know what/where Manor Vaughan is, quite a history!
Rob...I have Google'd it up & am pretty sure I have found the right place, quite a story!
rathmore...thank you for the link, I will start going through it all and see what turns up.
Regards,
John
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline McDonnell86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Apologies for the thread necromancy but I thought it better than starting a new thread.

To clarify, is Manor Vaughan the name of the estate upon which Mulroy House stands, as home to the Earls of Leitrim? I was reading about the killing of Lord Leitrim and the newspapers always referred to his home as Manor Vaughan, not Mulroy House..

In addition to Google Maps, I am looking at the OSI maps (The historic 25" one to be specific) and it has Mulroy House marked on it, just east of Carrigart. Closer to the Carrigart-Milford road is Manor Vaughan school.

Thanks

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There are a number of places on the estate that are still as it would have been at the time of the murder.
I noticed from my earlier post i wasn't too clear. Both my Great grandmother, Mills' family and greatgrandfather Elliott' family worked on the estate.
The Elliotts' left immediately after the murder and i think the Mills stayed around until about 1912.

The House would be 'Mulroy' and the estate 'manorvaughan'.

If you look on google earth south of the new bridge [Blaney] is the old Ferry House and you can see the jetty. this was owned by a family named Greer i believe who have family connections to the current owners.

South of the ferry is manorvaughan boathouse and also on the bank just by what i believe may have been the estate manager's house as its just inside the one gate.
It's quite a size so don't think it was just a gatehouse.

Leitrim secretly gave money for things like schools and a book was written some years later, after the murder, by i think it was the catholic teacher who spoke of Leitrims assistance, at the time of the murder there were all sorts of stories about him, so it was not a popular thing to praise him.
They had riots at the church in Dublin when they tried to bury him.

There is a new owner of the estate about to take over, he is connected to Mr strutt who died recently.

Rob

Offline wallace25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am doing research on a number of glass slides I have circa 1890's. There are a few slides showing  MULROY CASTLE. Does MULROY CASTLE still Exist. Historically, do you know who lived there in the late 19th century. Hope you can help. Andrew   (*)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
In 1991 the I.S.P.C.A were holding a fund raising event in Mulroy Castle Carrigar, seems to have been a fairly regular yearly event, by the kind permission of the Countess of Leitrim.
I wonder if Mulroy House is also called Mulroy Castle.