Author Topic: Help to find Francis Farrell abt 1831, son of Bernard please  (Read 9262 times)

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find Francis Farrell abt 1831, son of Bernard please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 October 16 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary,

Nice to hear from you.

I have the children of Francis Farrell and Bridget Anne (nee Gallagher) as follows......

Margaret 1856, Mary 1959, Bernard 1861, John 1863, Alice 1865, Alice 1867, James Patrick 1869, Ann 1873 and Ellen 1873 (twins), Srah 1873 and Joseph 1880.

I have your grandfather marrying Edith Jane Mary Marchant in 1899, they had 6 boys and one girl ( if I have it right).

I can't find any further back than the father's names on the wedding certificate of Francis and Bridget.  My friend who is your cousin, went to Bangor and saw the Catholic priest and some of the baptism entries. I have tried to trace Francis' sister Alice but lose her, she married Edward Towland in Bangor in 1858. Also tried to track some of the other Farrell marriages around the same time in Bangor, trying to see if they were related.
Any thoughts?

Lee

Roger....
 Adelaide Mary Farrell born circa 1850, did she marry? and do you know where she was born......there is an Adelaide Mary Farrell in New South Wales in 1935?
Lee

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 October 16 23:58 BST (UK) »
I don't know where Adelaide was born(circa 1850),but I think she is listed as just "Miss Farrell" in a draper's shop in Liverpool in 1871,where I suspect she met David(Raymond or Raiment or similar) Jones.I have never traced a marriage,but I think they had a number of children,including one in Ireland(from memory Emily Frances in Dublin 1878) where the mother is described as Adelaide Mary Farrell Jones.

Regards
Roger

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

I found the family in 1891, it took me longer to find them than I thought, Adelaide was born in Sligo. Do you have them in that census? , David is a draper born in 1845 -Abergele, Wales: Adelaide born in 1850 in Sligo, Ireland, children David C, Emily, Robert and a cousin called Lydia Vick.
......Church Lane, Harpurhey, Prestwich, Lancashire, England

What census return do you have? Hope this helps.....
Lee

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 08:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou,Lee.Somewhere,as it was quite a while ago,and it was for someone else,I have most,if not all of the info I require from the 1871 census onward.It's Adelaide's origins that remained a mystery.I remember a Sligo reference,but could make nothing of it.
Lydia Vick(or similar-the original is not exactly clear) is also a mystery.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lee,
I haven't found my paper data cache yet,but having had a quick search again,I think Alice's husband Edward dies in 1860,registered under Tollan(!),and Alice remarries in 1861,registered under Tolan.I don't think I pursued it as far as identifying which were the pairings from the entry.
I also have information on Patrick Farrell,,who as a widower,married Mary Ann Dorkin,awidow,in 1847 in Bangor.He is given as a fishmonger of Garden Street with father John Farrell,a farmer.
It is perhaps worth noting that Edward Towland when he married Alice in 1858 gave his occupation as fishmonger.

Regards
Roger

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Roger, for the information about Edward Towland/Tollan, I will look into it.

As for your Sligo link, I struggle to find anything I want in Ireland, I see lots of names but then can't cross reference them. Sorry I couldn't do more. But I will keep my eyes open.
Lee

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
I will carry on looking for my hoard of print-outs in case there was anything relevant to Bernard Farrell amongst it.

Regards
Roger

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
That is very kind of you, he is listed on the 2 marriage certificates as school master.
Thank you, Lee

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was James Patrick Farrell son of Francis and Bridget of Bangor, so it seems Mary was his older sister.  I also was born Mary Farrell!

Only just found your message, can I be any help? I have visited Kilkorkey in Ireland but not been able to find any records, but I keep trying,
Regards Mary

Kilcorkey     not     Kilkorkey!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.