Author Topic: Richard Sutton/Agnes + Margaret Douglas  (Read 3503 times)

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Sutton/Agnes + Margaret Douglas
« on: Tuesday 10 May 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
In 1924 Margaret Douglas (b 1885) and her married sister Agnes Grace Sutton (wife of Richard William John Sutton), arrived in Quebec, from Dublin, Ireland. Their  address was to be with a Mrs Jones at 12 Gamelin Street, Malo, Montreal.
I should love to know more about these families if anyone may be able to help?.
Do they appear in any directories or census by any chance?

Thank
Jill :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Sutton/Agnes + Margaret Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:12 BST (UK) »
You can peruse the Montreal directories for free at this website. Start with 'Serie principale' and it is generally English after that.

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Edit: Having now looked at the Form 30A it appears that that Agnes was going to St Malo, not Montreal, so the directories won't likely be of much use unless they subsequently moved to Montreal. You can try googling St Malo, Quebec to learn about it.

The last available census is for 1911.

Regards
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Polarbear,
I've drawn a blank in the directory that you suggested,  I'm wondering if the street I'd mentioned (Gamelin Street) is  perhaps not actually in Montreal?
What looks like the word Malo, is also contained in the address for Mrs Jones. I'm quite unfamiliar with Canadian address systems.
 Any helpful thoughts?
Jill

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
I have added an edit to my earlier post regarding the directory. St Malo would be a town other than Montreal, I believe ... sorry I don't know where though.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Looks like this might be it .... located east of Montreal

http://www.easterntownships.org/city/44003/saint-malo

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Stay safe everyone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This looks like Richard and Agnes coming back to Canada in 1927.  They are going to 12 Gamblin Street (I think this is what it says).  He is a gardener at a hotel. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0d5n/

I see that St. Melo is right on the border between Canada and the USA.  It might not hurt to check Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine records as well for descendents/other family.   

RK