Author Topic: So Who Signed The Certificate  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
So Who Signed The Certificate
« on: Tuesday 10 May 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
A relative died in 1994 in Alloa.
He was a divorcee. His ex wife and their adopted daughter lived in England.

The person (I'm assuming it was their adpoted daughter) who signed the death certificate gave an address in Manchester but the name of the person is totally unreadable, illegible even.

Does anyone know how I can find out who the signatory was.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: So Who Signed The Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
hi Fergie38
I'm told that English electoral rolls are accessible by address rather than by name, so maybe you could ask for a lookup of an electoral roll for Manchester around 1994, for that address?
To tell you (by PM of course) the names of the people at that address.

Or you could put the signature and a bit more of the document up on deciphering board to see if anyone can make anything of it.  It's amazing what people can see at first glance, out of some of the scribble we see.  Unless of course that might violate the 'no living people' rule.

Do you not know the name of the adopted daughter?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 08:30 BST (UK) »

The person (I'm assuming it was their adpoted daughter) who signed the death certificate gave an address in Manchester but the name of the person is totally unreadable, illegible even.

You say that the signature is illegible. Is that because it's a bad copy and very faint?
If that is the case you could contact the record office and get them to re-issue another one.

If it's just that you can't read the writing can you post that small section on the deciphering board to see what others can suggest.

As Dawn sugegsts electoral rolls are a good idea too.

PM me the address and I'll see if I can help..........I have access to 2002 lists.
Fingers crossed that she didn't move from 1994- 2002!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry abut taking so long in getting back to this.

Dawn...The adopted daughter's name was Jean and that's all I know about her.
I can't post the scribbled signature because the scribble I have is my own scribble when I did my best at deciphering the signature while on a visit to the GRO in Edinburgh.

Carol.... A PM is on its way to you with the address.
The signature starts with what looks like a 'J' but looks like a slightly longer name that Jean. The second name would seem to have about eight letters long and the last four of them cold be 'love'.

To make things more complicated I have now noticed that the signator has given her relationship as 'step-daughter'
He never remarried so the step daughter bit must be an error.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
She might have preferred to say 'step-daughter- to officialdom rather than that she was adopted.

A slightly longer name than Jean - Jeanne?  Jeannie?  Jeanette?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:07 BST (UK) »

Carol.... A PM is on its way to you with the address.
The signature starts with what looks like a 'J' but looks like a slightly longer name that Jean. The second name would seem to have about eight letters long and the last four of them cold be 'love'.

Cheers.

It doesn't say Jacqueline does it?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
Dawn...good point
and
Carol...no, that's to long a name.

Daniel Ferguson..died 19-3-94 and interred at Camelon.
I wonder if this unknown person would have had to take ownership of the lair befor the burial as that whole branch of the family has died out and there would have been no living owner.

Cheers

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
just a thought  -  have you looked in the Manchester telephone directory to get ideas of the name?
wilson (renfrewshire,paisley)

Offline ajkm62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 September 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm the step daughter, Jean Morrison, my ex husband was called Newlove, my father gave me the grave papers for the burial. I was a war baby, my parents didn't divorce till 21 years after I was born. Danny was a good father to me. He had no children of his own. I am remarried and now live in Devon. I have 2 children and 3 grandchildren.