Author Topic: ss Constance arrival 1852 probably Adelaide  (Read 10416 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ss Constance arrival 1852 probably Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
 Judith
What a sad but stunning document!
Thank you so much for showing me where to find it.  It really does give a feel for the dire situation of widows at the time. 

And for petmac's records:
After the death of her husband John in 1857 on the goldfields, Ann Lee and the children went to South Australia where John's brothers and their families lived.  Her little daughter Rosina died in SA in 1862. Ann never remarried.  By the time she died in 1892 Ann Lee had 24 grandchildren, many of whom lived to adulthood.  There must be many hundreds of descendants by now. John married Francis MILLER & had about 14 children. There is a long entry on John in the SA dictionary of biography. Joesph married Ann BOARD and had four children. William married Sarah Jane ALLOTT & had six children.
Barb

Offline wombat2788

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SS Constance arrival 1852
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 December 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Petmac

A casual genealogical enquiry caused me to investigate the Munro family tree. It seems that my great-grandfather on my mother's side, Thomas Henry SMALLEY was born on the SS Constance in 1851. He was the son of James SMALLEY and Martha GOODE. I gather they disembarked in Melbourne which would confirm that the Constance visited a number of ports, probably Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Cheers

Bill Munro

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 December 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill and welcome to Rootschat...I'm afraid Petmac hasn't been on Rootschat since 2012 so you may not get a reply  :-\ If you want to send a personal message, you can do this by clicking on the text icon under their name on the left. You must have three made three posts before you can do this.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SS Constance arrival 1852
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 December 18 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Petmac

A casual genealogical enquiry caused me to investigate the Munro family tree. It seems that my great-grandfather on my mother's side, Thomas Henry SMALLEY was born on the SS Constance in 1851. He was the son of James SMALLEY and Martha GOODE. I gather they disembarked in Melbourne which would confirm that the Constance visited a number of ports, probably Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Cheers

Bill Munro

You have written about the arrival of a ship CONSTANCE in 1851. Your people of interest arrived in Melbourne in Oct 1851.  This thread is about the CONSTANCE which arrived in Melbourne from Liverpool in Dec 1852

At the time I researched the shipping records I found there were more than one ship with the name CONSTANCE.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Message from Petmac

Hi. I am still alive and kicking and still very interested in the "Constance" and all about her. I do not want to be commercial but the fact remains that I  wrote a book about the voyage in 1852 which gives the story of the vessel  on it's first voyage out to Australia arriving after a non-stop sail in Melbourne on Monday Dec 27th 1852. I have checked the passenger list and cannot see the person mentioned. The book gives  a day by day diary on board and descriptions of life for those  emigrating from the UK to Australia at that period. I can supply by return a copy to any one interested. This is not meant as a  bit of publicity but just info for any fellow family historian.

Petmac I have just sent you an email so that you can reset your password and log back in again.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wombat2788

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Petmac,

It would seem from previous messages that the Constance sailed two voyages of interest, one in 1851 and another in 1852. From a genealogical perspective, it seems that my ancestors travelled on the 1851 trip whilst your research and book are all about 1852.

Thanks for your continuing interest

With kind regards

Bill Munro