Author Topic: Ireland to NZ  (Read 5641 times)

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ireland to NZ
« on: Tuesday 26 April 05 07:41 BST (UK) »

Hi

I’m after a look up for the following family for when they arrived in NZ:

O’Brien

Ellen (nee Culhane) born 1837  (widow)

Martin born abt 1860
Mariah born ?
Ellen born July 1865 in Limerick
Daniel Dominic born August 1870 in Cork
Anastasia born Dec 1871 in Limerick
Margaret born Dec 1875 in Limerick

Ellen’s husband died in March 1876. She then remarried to Andrew Frederick Corrigan (born Ballimamore, Leitrim, in about 1835) in Christchurch sometime in 1882. She died in Dunedin in 1902.

So they left Ireland sometime between 1876-1882. I don’t know if they went via England, or if Andrew Frederick Corrigan travelled with them.

Thank you very much

Tara  :)
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to NZ
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

If you have a copy of Ellen O'BRIEN/CORRIGAN's death certificate it should provide her length of residence in NZ as a starting point. Let me know if you have it.

The two most likely ports appear to be Christchurch and Dunedin, and both places have outstanding Settlers Museums that will search for a fee.
http://www.otago.settlers.museum/
http://www.cantmus.govt.nz/

Emigrant ships that arrived in NZ ports via Melbourne are indexed by ship with full passenger lists, but those ships that came direct are not indexed and a search is problematic, and the best option is using museums such as those above. I'll have a look at the Melbourne lists for you first.

Regards, Tor
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
There are a few passenger lists for ships which arrived at The Bluff (near Invercargill) at:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/cbluff/passengerships.html

JAP
PS: I knew about the above site because I found my grandmother (aged 4) on it.
But I just Googled and the following site may also be of interest:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/barbgreg/shipping1.html

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

thanks for the information will have a look round.

i'm afraid i don't have Ellen's death certificate, i know she died 25-8-1902, will have to find out if someone in the family has the certificate

cheers
Tara
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 05 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

I've found your Daniel Dominick O'BRIEN, who married in 1895 to Mary Ellen O'CONNOR. I've also found he's buried in Anderson's Bay Cemetery in Dunedin. He was a labourer who died in 1936, lived in Dunedin, and had lived 60 years in NZ from IRL, which equals an approximate arrival date of 1876.

I also found a Martin O'BRIEN, a labourer, buried at the same cemetery, died 1941 aged 80 (therefore b. 1861 - very close!) from IRL.

I looked at the 'Victoria AUS to NZ Passenger Records' of ships which travelled via Melbourne, and found:

CORRIGAN A, aged 31, arrived Port Chalmers (the port of Dunedin, Otago) in 1862, a single miner from IRL aboard the ACCRINGTON.

CORRIGAN Andrew, aged 29, arrived Otago in 1861, a married miner from IRL aboard the VERSAILLES. No wife appears to have accompanied him.

I can't find the O'BRIENS on the 'Victoria AUS to NZ Passenger Records' up to 1880.

Based on these finds, perhaps you should concentrate your search for the arrival of the O'BRIENS in Otago rather than Christchurch.

Let us know how you get on.

Good hunting, Tor.
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 05 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tor

thanks a million for the look up, much appreciated.  ;D  ;D

Perhaps after Daniel Dominic's father died his mother decided to leave Ireland.

cheers
Tara  ;D

Offline gerardobrien

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 05 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara.
I've just been looking at some information that I had received from an aunt which is probably substantially similar to what you have.

Ellen would be ah, my great great grandmother I guess.  I've been unable (so far) to find any information about their trip over here.  According to William O'Brien's death certificate (died March 8th 1876) Martin O'Brien by deposition on June 22nd 1876 had the place of death corrected (and he made his mark on the certificate).  So they had to leave after that and before 1882 when she married Corrigan.

At one time I thought that perhaps the children and her travelled with Corrigan under his name but it appears he came to NZ earlier via a different root.  I also searched from the perspective that she and the children travelled under her maiden name (Culhane) but I've yet to unearth anything to support that.

The coroner put William's death down to "cold and exposure suffered three hours" which is an extraordinary way to go for a shoemaker so perhaps there are other things unknown occuring around this time that also caused Ellen to pack up and leave, perhaps even departing under an assumed name.

I'll let you know if I discover more.
cheers
Gerard

Offline JudderBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am  looking for Ellen O'Brien (nee Culhane) who was married to William O'Brien a shoemaker in Ireland who died and Ellen Immigrated to New Zealand with her children.

They had a daughter named Margaret, (my great grandmother) who was born on the 25.12.1875 and lived in Oamaru, Otago.  I am trying to find out when they left Ireland. I have checked passenger lists for Bluff and am having trouble finding lists for Port Chalmers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Regards JudderBar
O'Brien (nee Culhane) Ellen and her daughter Margaret Kearns (nee O'Brien) born 25.12.1875

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 05 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Judderbar

You have the right family  :D My connection is Daniel Dominic as is the above poster Gerard's.

Gerard has looked at the ship records too but also had no luck.

Ellen married Andrew Frederick Corrigan in 1882 in Christchurch, they must have then moved to Dunedin.

I have not been able to find Ellen's burial record at a dunedin cemetery either (http://www.cityofdunedin.com/public/registers?Burl_form+F) as i have her date of death as 25-8-1902 in dunedin, Andrew died 17-9-19?? in Oamuru. Ellen's death certifcate should state how long she had been in NZ for which may reduce the arrival date down to a smaller range than 1876-1882.

I don't have much more information unfortuately. I believe that Ellen's parents were Mortimer Culhane and Mary Geerin. There are quite a few Culhane in the Tarbert, Kerry area, on family is detailed on the Internet but we don't seem to fit in that family??

anyway
will keep you posted if i find anything

Tara