Author Topic: Ireland to NZ  (Read 5660 times)

Offline JudderBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to NZ
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 December 11 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

I have tried to find out details of the ship they came out on, but have not been successful. She must have been a very strong woman to travel across the world, in search of a better life for her and her family. I am living in Adelaide now. My Mum and Dad are still in Oamaru, and I lived in Dunedin for several years before venturing overseas. Am disappointed that I never made it to Ireland. Looked up white pages when I lived in the UK and there were plenty of Culhane's and O'Brien's in the phone book, living in Glin. If you are ever in the South Island, let me know, I am sure Mum and Dad would love to meet you. Best wishes, Julie
O'Brien (nee Culhane) Ellen and her daughter Margaret Kearns (nee O'Brien) born 25.12.1875

Offline liamobrien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
Thanks for info. Do you know whether Simon Culhane ex Al Black and now involved in coaching Southland rugby has any family connection?
There was also a film Veronica Guerin based on a true story set in Dublin a few years back.I suppose these family names are fairly common in Ireland-as is O'Brien.
Regards
Bill Tither

Offline JudderBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 December 11 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

No, I do not know if he is any relation. The only Culhane's I know about are Ellen and her parents. Best wishes, Julie
O'Brien (nee Culhane) Ellen and her daughter Margaret Kearns (nee O'Brien) born 25.12.1875

Offline Val Rippey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 August 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Tara
Hi, My GtGrandfather was Daniel Dominic, so I am Gerard's cousin and have also been trying to ascertain when Ellen arrived in NZ. I have to say I'm becoming terribly confused. It might help if the Ellens had second names so we could differentiate between the two. (There seems to be many people similarly named arriving in NZ at various times) I have spent a couple of afternoons this week, looking through passenger lists. I found a possible family link in one Martin O'Brien arriving in late 1867, but no Ellens that might fit. (A note I have regarding Martin is that he never married)

To confuse the issue even further there is a record of Ellen Corrigan marrying George Edgar Maxfield. Then when I looked for his death in BDM there was no record, so I headed to  paperspast for any info on George, where I found a
Wellington Supreme Court (but published in the Otago Daily Times) divorce notice between Ellen Maxfield and George E Maxfield, on the grounds of desertion,  but this was dated February 1911.....9 years after Ellen the mother died. George possibly absconded to Australia. Until now, it seemed no one had any record of daughter Ellen being married.

What a great thing it would be if we could have an O'BRIEN family reunion.

Offline Val Rippey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 August 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say I have a copy of Ellen's death certificate which states she had been in NZ for 25 years.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
Since this topic was started, more information has become available on line. Some of you may not  have this........

Death notice [1902] for Ellen……

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OAM19020827.2.11?end_date=31-12-1902&query=ellen+corrigan&start_date=01-01-1902&title=AHCOG%2CBH%2CCL%2CCROMARG%2CDUNST%2CESD%2CLCM%2CLCP%2CLWM%2CME%2CMIC%2CMTBM%2CNOT%2COAM%2CODT%2COW%2COSWCC%2CSOCR%2CST%2CTT%2CWSTAR

Cemetery details:

Ellen CORRIGAN   65   

Date of Burial   28 August 1902   Cemetery   Oamaru Old - Catholic
Block   153   Plot   18

Probated will of Ellen CORRIGAN [1902]

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9Y9-49WR-B?i=51&cc=1865481

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Marriage:

1882/1368   Ellen   OBrien   Andrew Frederick   Corrigan

[actual date of marriage:25.5.1882]

Death:

1886/5755   Corrigan   Andrew Frederick   52Y

His death notice
….

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OAM18860920.2.13.3?end_date=31-12-1886&query=andrew+corrigan&start_date=01-01-1886&title=AHCOG%2CBH%2CCL%2CCROMARG%2CDUNST%2CESD%2CLCM%2CLCP%2CLWM%2CME%2CMIC%2CMTBM%2CNOT%2COAM%2CODT%2COW%2COSWCC%2CSOCR%2CST%2CTT%2CWSTAR

Cemetery details:

Andrew CORRIGAN   52   
Date of Burial   19 September 1886   Cemetery   Oamaru Old - Catholic
Block   146   Plot   11

Difficulties at his funeral………

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OAM18860920.2.17?end_date=31-12-1886&query=andrew+corrigan&start_date=01-01-1886&title=AHCOG%2CBH%2CCL%2CCROMARG%2CDUNST%2CESD%2CLCM%2CLCP%2CLWM%2CME%2CMIC%2CMTBM%2CNOT%2COAM%2CODT%2COW%2COSWCC%2CSOCR%2CST%2CTT%2CWSTAR

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.