Author Topic: Ireland to NZ  (Read 5661 times)

Offline JudderBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to NZ
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara,

We have found Ellen on the Index of death's for 1902 and have the reference number to order the death certificate, will let you know as soon as I get any further information.

Regards Julie
O'Brien (nee Culhane) Ellen and her daughter Margaret Kearns (nee O'Brien) born 25.12.1875

Offline JudderBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 June 07 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi There, a little more info on Ellen Culhane, she died in Dunedin 25th August 1902 and is buried in Oamaru Cemetery. Death certificate states she lived in NZ for 25 years putting arrival date around 1877. Parent's names Mary Gurin and Mortimer Culhane listed on the Griffiths valuation of Ireland - Kilfergus - County Limerick as living in Glenagragara which was previously known as Ballygilltenane.
There has been a Culhane mailing list setup as follows:-
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/c/culhane.html

that might be of interest, as it seems all the Culhane's from this area are related. They are mainly looking at Culhane's who immigrated to Australia and New Zealand Regards Julie
O'Brien (nee Culhane) Ellen and her daughter Margaret Kearns (nee O'Brien) born 25.12.1875

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 June 07 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

The ITM (free to look up) for Ellen's marriage in 1882 will show how long she had lived in the district (and therefore most likely in NZ) at the time of marriage.

Bren.

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 November 08 21:46 GMT (UK) »

In the interests of good housekeeping, I’ve moved this post to completed.

Assistance has been provided …….

Offline liamobrien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 December 11 03:27 GMT (UK) »
I found this site by accident. My grandfather was Daniel Dominic O'Brien son of Ellen Corrigan-previously O'Brien nee Culhane.

I have some knowledge of the family history.

Offline JudderBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 December 11 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
My relation was Margaret O'Brien, married name Kearns. Her son, James, is my grandfather. I have copies of birth certificates for Margaret, Helen, Anastasia and Ellen. I also have Ellen (Corrigan's) death certificate showing her parents names as Mary Gurin and Mortimer Culhane. I also have a copy of William O'Brien's death certifcate. Happy to scan and email if you would like a copy of any of these. Best wishes Julie Kearns

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 December 11 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi liamobrien,

Welcome to Rootschat.

You just need another two posts before exchanging email addresses with JudderBar. So if you reply to JudderBar's post and a Hello to me, the PM system will be available for you to use.

Cheers
KHP :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liamobrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 December 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
My relation was Margaret O'Brien, married name Kearns. Her son, James, is my grandfather. I have copies of birth certificates for Margaret, Helen, Anastasia and Ellen. I also have Ellen (Corrigan's) death certificate showing her parents names as Mary Gurin and Mortimer Culhane. I also have a copy of William O'Brien's death certifcate. Happy to scan and email if you would like a copy of any of these. Best wishes Julie Kearns

Offline liamobrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 December 11 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
I remember Margaret Kearns who was my mothers Aunt and have met other members ot the Kearns family from Oamaru.
My mother was one of the nine chidren of Daniel Dominic O'Brien.The family moved from Oamaru to Dunedin in the 1920s.
I maintain contact with several cousins on the O'Brien side of my family.
I have been interested in Ellen Corrigan who was obviously a resourceful woman to have migrated to NZ as a widow with a young family.
I live in the North Island NZ Palmerston North.
Regards
Bill Tither