Author Topic: G.W. Simla Paterson M.B. CM *COMPLETED, THANK YOU*  (Read 4526 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
G.W. Simla Paterson M.B. CM *COMPLETED, THANK YOU*
« on: Friday 13 May 11 23:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out about this medical man who was in Edinburgh at least between 1895 and 1909,  please?

My great-grandfather Robert Paterson, b. 1866, married Florence Elmer in Edinburgh in 1907.  They had one son, Eric, in 1908 and Robert died in 1909.
I obtained Robert's death certificate recently and saw that the cause of death was certified by G.W. Simla Paterson, M.B. CM.  A quick search showed that the gentleman's full name was George William Simla Paterson.

Now I am pretty sure that Dr. Paterson is not a direct member of my Paterson family:  my lot were servants, farm workers etc.  and I am sure that none of them would have had the financial means to put a child through university and/or medical school.  However I was pretty astonished because Eric's full name was Eric SIMLA Paterson  :o

My family and I have often wondered where this middle name came from.  Eric's mother Florence said that he was named after the town in India but now I am interested to know if in fact he was named after the doctor.  Maybe he was a family friend or even Eric's godfather.

With such an unusual name he ought to be easy to trace, but no such luck.  All I can find out is that in 1896 Dr. Paterson was a Fellow of the Edinburgh Society of Obstetricians.  I have found no record of his birth, marriage death or any census entry for him either in England, Scotland or (a long shot!) India.  I would have thought that there might be an obituary for him somewhere, or a Will, but I can find absolutely nothing. 

Does anybody have any ideas?  It's only really curiosity on my part but I would love to resolve this mystery!

Thanks in advance
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: G.W. Simla Paterson M.B. CM
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
or any census entry for him either in England, Scotland or (a long shot!) India.

He is on the Scottish 1901 census for 147 Bruntsfield Place Midlothian

George W S Paterson 30 medical GP born Red Sea at Sea
Ellen B   28 b Edinburgh
Margaret Caldwell 23 servant b Cobbinshaw
Annie Davidson 15 servant b Gilmerton
Edinburgh Morningside ED 112 Page  4 Line 4

You could check Scotlands People for their marriage which will give you details of his parents

There are 2 matches for a George Paterson marriage to an Ellen - one in 1891 which seems a bit too early given their 1901 ages.  The other is in 1896  but neither match to Midlothian or Edinburgh. 

The 1901 has a George and Ellen Paterson living in Lanarkshire and I think that 1896 marriage is theirs as it matches to Lanarkshire

Your best bet would be to find them on the 1911 census to see if they have any children as the birthcert will give Ellen's maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carole!
I don't know how I missed that....  I think I was looking for somebody a  bit older.  Can't see them in 1911.
I don't see a marriage or death on SP either.
So if he was born on a ship in the Red Sea, his family may have hailed from India :)  That's a start! :)

Thanks
Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
Think that the wife's name was Helen (although shown by the form Ellen in the census). Also, 'born Red Sea' would not mean he was born in India. The details below might help (would probably be worth trying to contact the poster)-

"Helen Taylor was married to George Wm. Simla Paterson--my Great Grandmother's brother-in-law's wife.Sorry to ramble.........would love to hear from anyone,who has same names in their trees. thanx--smittys.Most of these people came from either, Kilmany,Edinburgh,Leith,Largo,Dairsie..........the original Alexander Paterson,in my line, was a Hand-loom weaver,from Kilmany, who's allegence?,was listed in my fanily tree,as being with the Clan MacGregor.And my Paterson's,were almost ALL Medical Missionaries,traveling to either Madras,India-or to Hebron"

http://www.yabbers.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?mforum=scotsgen&p=1603
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Also, 'born Red Sea' would not mean he was born in India.

True, but it may well mean that his family was returning from India when he was born :)

Thanks for that link, I'll follow it up!
Bev

Looks like that person hasn't been active on the site for some time :( But you never know!
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
There's also some online family details giving parents as David Horne Paterson & Janet Stillie, etc. Although it needs to be verified the details might help you find a connection to your family.
http://www.wardjc.com/people/p000027h.htm#I80237
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
This looks like their marriage

1900 PATERSON GEORGE WILLIAM and TAYLOR HELEN BEATTIE at NEWINGTON EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you all!
As I said, I don't think there is a direct family connection - Paterson is a common enough name.
I do think that the doctor may have helped the family in some way.
Florence was left a young widow with a 9-month old baby;  by coincidence (or not) she went to work in India shortly afterwards and somebody paid for Eric to go to boarding school.  We'll probably never know the circumstances but I'm fairly sure now that we know the origin of granddad's middle name :)

Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline simonp99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: G.W. Simla Paterson M.B. CM *COMPLETED, THANK YOU*
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 07:19 GMT (UK) »
G W S Paterson's brother Alexander Paterson b. 1863 Madras d. 1940 Edinburgh  was also a medical missionary.  William Ewing wrote his biography "Paterson of Hebron, "the Hakim" missionary life in the mountains of Judah" (pub London 1931).  He married my relative Margaret Potter Muirhead in 1891 in Lovedale, South Africa