Author Topic: G.W. Simla Paterson M.B. CM *COMPLETED, THANK YOU*  (Read 4529 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: G.W. Simla Paterson M.B. CM *COMPLETED, THANK YOU*
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information, simonp99.
To be truthful I had forgotten about this thread  ::)

Going back to Carole's post of 13th May 2011, I have since found that in 1901 my great-granddad was also living in Bruntsfield Place.

I like to think that Dr. Paterson was my great-grandmother's benefactor and that he saved her and my grandfather from poverty and dire straits.

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Shirley21

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Name "Simla" Dr. Paterson was an uncle to my father David Roy Paterson. He, my grandfather ,and a brother were the only children of  David Paterson, a medical missionary from Edinburgh to Madras ,India.The family was on a ship,"SIMLA", enroute to Scotland when the son Simla was born and was given the ship's name.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shirley
Thank you for this information after such a long time.
So if I understand correctly, George was given the name Simla because he was born on a ship of that name and not because his family had any ties with the town of Simla in India?
And then my grandfather was called Simla after him. 
The doctor must have been a close friend of my family.  I am wondering whether it would be possible to find Eric's baptism details and find out through them if he was in fact Eric's godfather.
I don't suppose you know if the doctor had any connections with the Isle of Man, which is where Eric was sent to school?
Bev

Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Shirley21, I have found this information on your husband's family member.

"PATERSON, Alexander, M.B., C.M., (Edin.). 2 Grange Loan Gardens, Edinburgh, 9. B.1863, Madras. s. of late David Horn Paterson, F.R.C.S.E. ed. Private School, Edinburgh; Royal High School, Edinburgh; Edinburgh University. m. 1891, Margaret Potter, d. of late Henry Donaldson Muirhead.  Medical Missionary, 1887 - 1922, at Aden, Lovedale, S.A., Cairo, and Hebron, Palestine; Member, Pensions Appeal Tribunal (Scotland), from 1922.  Served during Great War in Alexandria, Kantara and Hebron; Capt., R.A.M.C., 1915-17, at home; 1917-1919, with Egyptian Expeditionary Force. Recreations; golf, tennis."
This information comes from "Scottish Biographies 1938"
regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline 2021

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello to bevj and simonp99.
  I haven't visited this site for a great long time, but I see my family member (not my father lol) had posted some information to you regarding G.W. Simla Paterson.
  Not sure if my family member has been keeping up to date with the posted Paterson messages, but I'm glad the family member took the time to relay the information to you both. I had always found the name Simla to be interesting, and as a small child had asked where the name came from. Interesting to note that he was named after a ship.
 I would enjoy learning more about simonp99's relative Margaret Potter Muirhead. I have a Paterson family tree, that was given to me by a family member...but other just the basic names and dates, there's not much more information. I think, my family member is the last of this particular Paterson line. I have not been able to find out if there are any other long-lost relatives out there. Simonp99 is the first one I've come across, that is even distantly related to my Paterson line. Thanks for reading--now that I'm registered at this site, I'll check back in from time to time for future messages.