Author Topic: Potter family of Tullamore  (Read 5536 times)

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Potter family of Tullamore
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters
I am trying to find some information about the Irish roots of Sarah Potter born in Tullamore in 1811. She came to Lincolnshire with her two brothers John and Henry Potter born in 1821 in Tullamore. She had a child Thomas Smart born in 1836, Thomas' father was Thomas Smart a soldier ( I have been unable to locate Thomas junior's birth certificate but I have his death certificate from 1842 when he died of pneumonia and under occupation his father is named as the soldier Thomas Smart, deceased).
I wonder if anyone out there can help me please?
Kindest regards
Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Potter family of Tullamore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Sarah and her brothers were born well before the start of civil registration (1864), so you will need to check for parish records to see if any details are available. Do you know the family religion ?

see :
 My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?
 Introduction to Irish Records

p.s. If Thomas jnr was 1836 then there will be no birth cert for him, since full civil registration only started in Ireland in 1864, and in 1837 in England.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Potter family of Tullamore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
Thank you very much for the reply, I had a feeling that might be the case.
Best wishes
Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.