Author Topic: Lane Cove cemetery  (Read 13450 times)

Offline tudors2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lane Cove cemetery
« on: Sunday 15 May 11 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
A few of my GG Parents are buried in lane cove.
I know where Lane Cove is,but where abouts is the cemetery.
It just states they are buried in lane cove cemetery

Thanks
Vicki

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Cove cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki
I grew up in Chatswood, the next suburb - actually part of Lane Cove is in Chatswood West.
I don't remember a cemetery.
I wonder do they mean Gore Hill?  It's on what used to be called Lane Cove Road.
Or it might be what used to be Northern Suburbs Cemetery and is now called Macquarie Park.

Do you have a burial date?  Where did you get this info?

Just rang my sister in law who still lives in Sydney and also grew up in Chatswood.
She thinks it's more likely to be Northern Suburbs.  I can remember we had to go 'cross country' via Fullers Bridge which crosses the Lane Cover River, the main road Chatswood to North Ryde.

Dawn M.
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
To my knowledge there is no cem in Lane Cove however it does depend if the information was verbal because they could be referring to Delhi Road which is just above Lane Cove National Park.

On Delhi Road you have the choice of two.
If cremated my 1st choice would be Northern Suburbs Memorial Gardens and Crem ... 199 Delhi Road Nth Ryde 9888 6394.

If no luck then try Macquarie Park Cem and Crem. Cnr Delhi & Plassey Roads. (Formally known as Northern Suburbs Cemetery) 9805 0499

Gore Hill would be the next best bet

Good Luck, Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline tudors2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

On the death record it states
Place of Burial ; lane Cove
year is 1870

Thanks for your replies
Vicki

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
As most of the cemeteries in that area were not opened until later, perhaps she was buried in a churchyard?  Or an "unofficial" burial place...on private property, for example.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Gore Hill Cemetery was established in 1868 so it could be there, though Wiki says the first burial was in 1877 - why would it be there for 9 years without being used?
It's on Pacifric Highway which used to be called Lane Cove Road.

Vicki, does it give the funeral director (presuming by death record you mean death certificate)?

You could even look at St. Thomas's at North Sydney.  This area was called St. Leonards even though now nowhere near St. Leonards. Which is sort of near Lane Cove.  St. Thomas's is C/E.
Does it give a religion for your folks?

There's a Methodist Church on Mowbray Road at Chatswood South (Artarmon) though I hardly think it would be referred to as Lane Cove, but you never know.  Don't know the exact year of construction but my ggf's brother built it. Just looked at it on Wiki and it says built 1871 so I guess that's not it either.  Unless they opened the cemetery before the church.   ???   ??? 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
Don't know if this is helpful my relations emigrated to Australia and lived at Lane Cove Ryde  NSW from early 1900's until 1950 From the death record they are  buried in the Church of England Field of Mars cemetery. I am told it is part of the Rookwood cemetery, one of the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and that some of the Rookwood MI's are indexed and some are online. I certainly found the Rookwood cemetery online and could view it on google maps.
North East of England

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Don't know if this is helpful my relations emigrated to Australia and lived at Lane Cove Ryde  NSW from early 1900's until 1950 From the death record they are  buried in the Church of England Field of Mars cemetery. I am told it is part of the Rookwood cemetery, one of the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and that some of the Rookwood MI's are indexed and some are online. I certainly found the Rookwood cemetery online and could view it on google maps.

Field of Mars Cemetery could also be a possibility as although its in Ryde, its just across the Lane Cove River. But its nowhere near Rookwood - probably 15kms(?) away.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:18 BST (UK) »

On the death record it states
Place of Burial ; lane Cove
year is 1870

Just noted the above burial date. Rules out both Northern Suburbs Cemetery and Crematorium. Possibly Field of Mars too?

I tend to go along with St.Thomas's at St Leonards.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!