Author Topic: Lane Cove cemetery  (Read 13491 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Cove cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Vicki, have you checked the newspapers of the day on the Trove Website?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

There may be a Funeral Notice which could give a more exact location?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Vicki if you could give us some names we might be able to find them??

I thought of TROVE but with no names it would be impossible.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Neilhilt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 11 03:13 BST (UK) »
I think the Baptists had a cemetery called "Ryde Baptist Cemetery" at Lane Cove Road, Ryde.  It operated from 1850 to sometime in 1940s.  Neil   
Smith - Ayrshire, Pyrmont, Newtown.  Dunsmore - Ayrshire.  Fyfe - Lanarkshire.  Patterson - Hunter Valley, Goulburn.  Rex - Yorkshire, Hobart.  Colbran - Sussex, Hawkesbury.  Lovell - Somerset, Marsfield.  Gallard - Kent,  Marsfield.  Sherriff - Angushire.  Cussen.  Dean - Mudgee.  Hill - Somerset, Gulgong

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
http://www.rookwoodindependent.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=27

Rookwood Independent Cemetery looks after Baptist Greek and Methodist sections of the Field of Mars Cemetery. You can do name searches on this site shown above.
North East of England

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
But I think Field of Mars didn't exist in 1870

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 May 11 23:19 BST (UK) »

On the death record it states
Place of Burial ; lane Cove
year is 1870

Nice little puzzle you have here.... Perhaps the recording office was the thing that was actually at Lane Cove. I get a similar quirk when looking at the death records of Men from the Lidcombe Old Mens Home that were buried right across the road in Rookwood. NSW BDM shows Granville which is two suburbs away.

If it wasn't one of the obvious ones then this site http://www.interment.net/data/aus/nsw/sydneymetropolitan/methodist/index.htm  infers that there are only two places left to look when it says "This cemetery is one of only two remaining 19th century churchyard cemeteries on Sydney’s North Shore. The other is in Saint Johns Ave, Gordon".

There is a list based on the early burial register of this cemetery .... Unfortunately there are no 1870 burials as it opened in 1871.

Please note that that quote said remaining .... Any others are gone!

Perhaps you should contact the person who wrote the article as obviously he has a great deal if information on the area. He should know of the other places which would probably be parks now.

Good Luck

Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there Vicki,

Willoughby Council's website includes this index to Gore Hill Cemetery ... perhaps it may help you, as mentioned by others who have posted, the main road past this cemetery was previously known as Lane Cove Road.(Chatswood to North Sydney)....  and is not the same road as now referred to as Lane Cove Road (Ryde to Pymble).

http://www.willoughby.nsw.gov.au//Library/Collections---Services/Local-Studies/GHC-Records/

On the other hand, there's quite a number of RChatters who can help you further if you were to provide the surname and perhaps the given name of the person who was buried at Lane Cove in 1870.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 May 11 06:52 BST (UK) »
There is a very old cemetery at 205 West Street North Sydney
It is called St Thomas' Rest Park
The original land was given by Alexander Berry and was the first burial ground established North of Sydney Harbour.
It is estimated that there would have been 909 headstones on the plots.
There is a web site for graves and you may find your person there
(I have found some transcriptions for my ancestors on this site)
This was the original burial place for the earliest graves from St Thomas' Church of England (Now Anglican)
You could look at the St Thomas' web page

Lane Cove  comes into this area
The Gore Hill cemetery is an interesting place to visit also .

Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 May 11 07:31 BST (UK) »
Following from Turramurra's post

http://photosau.com/Stantonheadstones/scripts/home.asp this link, there's a database of photo records of headstones. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.