Author Topic: Edward Herbert Moss of Shipley, Derbyshire b. 1894  (Read 1610 times)

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Herbert Moss of Shipley, Derbyshire b. 1894
« on: Sunday 15 May 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace my maiden name, Moss and had for a time come up against a brick wall with my Great Grandfather Edward Moss. He was a merchant seaman and lived in the Liverpool/Wirral area at the time of his marriage and death, but I'd been unable to find his birth in either Cheshire or Lancashire.
Now I have a copy of his seaman's record with a date of birth Jan 1894 and place of birth Shipley, Derbyshire. Hooray, I thought ;D! I've found him, but alas no :'(, Ed has evaded me again. No trace of an Ed Moss born in Shipley in 1894 in either the census or BMD records.
I'm not even sure the name is correct as there are a few questionable details on his marriage certificate. He takes a middle name "Collingwood" which has been continued down the family line, however I think he took the name of the Collingwood Dock in Liverpool! Any suggestions please?  ???

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Herbert Moss of Shipley, Derbyshire b. 1894
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
there is a Herbert Moss b Shipley Derbys age 4 1901 census- son of Arthur and Annie????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

thanks for the reply. You were on the right track. Arthur is my Gt Grandfather's half brother. I've found that my Gt Grandfather was born Samuel Moss in Smalley Lodge on the edge of the Shipley estate. His birth certificate has the same birthday as his seaman's record but in a different year. This is consistent with his marriage and death certificates which all have him born in different years. (or should that be inconsistent!). His father was Edwin Moss born in Marlpool, Heanor in 1845. Edwin was a widower when he met Samuel's Mum, Jessie Hannah Banham. She came from Wyberton Fen in Lincolnshire. The Arthur you mention is one of Edwin's sons by his first wife, Mary.
I'm pretty sure that this Samuel is my Gt Grandfather because my Nan said he had a sister Jessie who married a chap with the surname Chester and that they lived in Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire. I've found that Samuel's only survivng sibling was indeed a sister called Jessie Hannah Moss and that she did marry a chap called John Felix Chester who came from Lincolnshire!  ;D Hooray, finally I've found him!
Thanks again for the help,

Marian.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
well done

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk