Author Topic: Wozencraft, Lewis, Weal in Llandewy Ystradenny  (Read 4968 times)

Offline garethwheeler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wozencraft, Lewis, Weal in Llandewy Ystradenny
« on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Trying to find the mother of my great grandfather, Thomas Weale. He was born in Llandewy Ystradenny in 1858 to Jacob Weale and Sarah Weale (formerly Wozencraft) (from his BC). Problem is, the only MC I can find for Jacob is in 1852 to Sarah LEWIS. No other MCs in the period/region. Desperately trying to find out if these two Sarahs are the same (maybe re-married?, but cant find MC details with any names that work ..... ).

Anyway, if anyone has studied Wozencrafts in Radnor and has a Sarah W born around 1830, let me know and we can see if she is the same as mine (I see one on the IGI born 1829 to Jane Wozencraft but have no supporting information to check that to ...).

Or if anyone has the parish registers for Llandewy Ystradenny, maybe there is more information on Thomas's birth in 1858?

Any help gratefully received :)

Gareth

Offline robshfds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wozencraft, Lewis, Weal in Llandewy Ystradenny
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I've got a link in my tree to a Thomas Wozencraft.  He married a Margaret Thomas in 1871 at Llanbister.  They went on to have 4 children.  Dont know more than that as yet.  Could it be the same link?

Robyn
Hereford - Richards - Gundy

Offline ruchca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I've got a Mary Wozencraft who married into my tree, she was born in 1872 in Llanidloes.  I've been having a look  around for you, this is what I got,----On Free reg a Sarah baptised 14 Jan 1829 at Llananno Parish Church File No 840. Mother is Jane Wozencraft, no surname given of child and no mention of father. I think she might have been illigitimate. I also found marriage of Jacob and Sarah 1st Quarter 1852 Rhayader.[to Sarah Lewis] Ther are 2No's here  --11b-251 and 11b 281. don't understand this. Do you think her father was a Mr Lewis, and as she got older for whatever reason she started to go by Lewis instead of Wozencroft? Have you found them on 1861 cencus?Jacob, Sarah and Children James 7, Mary 5, and Thomas 2. Good luck       Christine
CARTER PAULTON SOMERSET, HARDWICK LLANBISTER RADNOR,  KING ALTON PRIORS WILTSHIRE, THOMAS LLANBEDR MERIONETH,

Offline garethwheeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robyn / Christine.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I had to put the research down for a while.

About Thomas Wozencraft, there were so many Wozencrafts, strangely enough, that it is difficult to make a link. I will have a look though and let you know.

About Mary Wozencraft, I had assumed that the marriage of Sarah?Jacob has been transcribed twice was because the original entry wasn't clear, so they transcribed both references to be sure. As for the theory about Lewis, that is a good thought and something I will look at. I had assumed she was re-married (Wozencraft > Lewis > Weal) but maybe Lewis was indeed her father's name (there seems to have been a lot of illegitimate children about! Jacob was illegitimate too, as far as I can make out).

A general question: were deaths in Radnorshire around 1880 registered fairly reliably? I can't find death certificates for either Jacob or Sarah and wondered if it is not uncommon for death registrations to go missing?

Anyway, thanks to both Robyn and Christine for your help :)