Author Topic: 55 Gt Queen St, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 1840  (Read 5904 times)

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
55 Gt Queen St, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 1840
« on: Sunday 15 May 11 18:16 BST (UK) »
Joseph Tilt and his family left Capel some time between 1833 and 1835 to seek their fortune in London.  A letter has recently come to light written by Joseph from 55 Great Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, to an estate agent in Dorking, instructing him to sell "my little place in the Holmwood".

Please can someone who is more adept at reading the old maps than I am locate number 55 in Great Queen Street?  I think it must be on the site now occupied by the Masonic Hall, but I am not sure. 

His occupation in the 1841 census is cow keeper (he was a dairyman). It would be nice to think he might have been keeping his cows in Lincoln's Inn Fields!

With thanks for any help in map-reading,

Beetle.   
Tilts in Surrey and Sussex
Smiths in Bilston, Staffs
Naylors in Sedgley, Staffs

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 55 Gt Queen St, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 1840
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this link about 55 and 56 Great Queen Street  :)

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74278

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Wow, what an amazing amount of information about a house, and what an interesting history that house had!   There's even an illustration of it in the right year.  Thank you so much, Heather.  I should never have thought of looking there.  And who would believe that the Aldwych started life as Old Witch Close!

The size of the house explains the number of people in Joseph Tilt's household in the 1841 census:  16 in all, mostly young.  Joseph's own family was seven in number, and it looks as though  three different families were sharing number 55, but all listed under Joseph Tilt. 

It is frustrating that the narrative speaks of numbers 55 and 56 as still being there, but it was written in 1914.  As the freeholders were the freemasons, it is clear that the site was where the present Freemasons Hall stands, or maybe the Connaught Rooms next door.

I am so grateful to you for solving this puzzle for me.  It was worth chasing after!

Beetle.

Tilts in Surrey and Sussex
Smiths in Bilston, Staffs
Naylors in Sedgley, Staffs

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
You're more than welcome, so glad it's been useful!  I can't claim much credit for finding that information though, all I did was type the address into Google  :-[   ;D

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline brit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 December 13 23:28 GMT (UK) »
This info is really interesting. Not sure if the James & Jane Spender are in my family (Sponder) will have to research them. They were living at #55 between 1839 and at least 1846, 4 of their children were born in this time frame.  Interestingly James was a picture liner whatever that is.
Brit
Worcestershire:Bradley, Scotland: Graham, England?: Shelley. Yorkshire: Rycroft, Kent: Sponder