Author Topic: Cedric John McCarthy  (Read 4895 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Cedric John McCarthy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Good luck with the op!  ;)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Igor ...

I got an email from the Copyright Editor saying this to topic had been split ... cant find out where to !

I read through it again ... cant see any copyright enfringements ... and all the people mentioned are dead ...

??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, me too. Was worried I'd infringed something!

Io think we're at a stop though as I can't see death for Olive or certain marriages for the sisters. Worth a punt on the John D death?

In any case I bet Cedric had some Bustard cousins around at the time of marriage....
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
Yes; I'm intrigued by his marriage to my aunt, but not enough so to persue it much more !    Somehow she, and the family had the strong idea that all his family was dead at the time of the marriage, yet they obviously weren't !  He must have had reasons for his visits to Cork, but we'll never find why ... so we seems to have got to a natural end !   

Thank you for all your help ... I've got the details noted on my family tree ... and thats it !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 April 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
Yes; I'm intrigued by his marriage to my aunt, but not enough so to persue it much more !    Somehow she, and the family had the strong idea that all his family was dead at the time of the marriage, yet they obviously weren't !  He must have had reasons for his visits to Cork, but we'll never find why ... so we seems to have got to a natural end !   

Thank you for all your help ... I've got the details noted on my family tree ... and thats it !

I'm relatively confident that Cedric was the nephew of my 3x great grandma.  Using Irishgenealogy.ie, I was able to determine, after finding his father at long last in the 1911 census, that there were only 2 John McCarthys born in Lixnaw during the year that would have made John D. McCarthy the right age.  One is a son of Michael McCarthy and Mary Walsh, and is unrelated to me as far as I know.  The other is the son of Denis McCarthy and Catherine Stack, and therefore the younger brother of my 3x great grandma Ellen "Nellie" McCarthy, who immigrated to the US in the 1880s.  It was long known that her brother had relocated to England by 1901 when their mother died, and there is apparently a photo in the possession of one of my relatives that depicts John, and created by a Brighton photographer.  Being from the USA, I have no idea how likely an Essex man would have been to have a portrait done in Brighton, but I nevertheless believe that this John and mine are one and the same.

Lixnaw is not particularly close to Cork, but I've had enough otherwise unexplained Cork DNA matches to think that perhaps there were relatives there.  I know that John's father's side was entirely in Lixnaw by 1832 at the latest, when John's father was born there.  John's paternal grandmother, at least, had been born in Lixnaw in 1812.  The McCarthy grandfather was likely from there too, but since he doesn't appear in the baptism records (which start in 1810), I can't confirm that.

The family of John's mother is less clear.  There were 4 Catherine Stacks born in Lixnaw parish alone during the period during which she was likely born, and I have no clue as to which, if any, were her.

Based on voter registration info from England, it appears that John's actual middle name was Denis (further increasing the likelihood that he is indeed my relative).  Devona may have been a half-hearted attempt at latinization by the priest that performed the marriage.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 April 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
I'm attaching a picture of Cedric's father, John McCarthy.  He died 27 Oct 1953 in Ealing, so although it's certainly possible he was in poor health at the time, he was certainly still alive when your aunt married Cedric.  When I gave this address to their sister Ellie's great granddaughter, her father recognized the address immediately as Cedric's sister Nora's address into later life (she died in 1981). 

I can't confirm Olive's being alive or dead in 1952 at the moment, and the oldest sister Ellie had died in 1947, but Cedric's father John and sister Nora were definitely still around.  Also, Cedric's niece Estelle would have been in I think her 20s at the time and living in the London area, too.  Cedric would also have had first cousins in the US, Ireland, England, Canada, and possibly New Zealand at that time.  He had an uncle, Stephen McCarthy, living in Middlesex, as well. I believe his aunt Mary McCarthy was still living in Lixnaw, but I don't know when she actually passed.

I notice that Cedric and Margaret got married in the Church of England.  My guess would be that his Catholic family boycotted the wedding for that reason.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 April 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
He doesn't look anything like I remember Cedric .... but that was 50+ years back !

I've just remembered a couple of things .... I believe he was working in the Civil Service, as did my aunt; and secondly, he had quite a pronounced stammer.

That's it !

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
You're in luck !    Searching through hundreds of ancient family photos, I have found two of Cedric .... no idea what date, but maybe the 50's, 60's ??

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:56 BST (UK) »
You're in luck !    Searching through hundreds of ancient family photos, I have found two of Cedric .... no idea what date, but maybe the 50's, 60's ??
Thank you so much!  I’m actually about to catch a flight to visit his father’s hometown in about 2 hours, so the timing couldn’t be better!