Author Topic: Am looking for Earl Benner  (Read 6824 times)

Offline benner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am looking for Earl Benner
« on: Monday 16 May 11 00:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for descendants of Earl Benner born Fisherville Ontario Canada 17th May 1892. His mother was Sarah Elizabeth Benner, father unknown. He was living in Whitlash, Montana, USA prior 1918 when he enlisted into the Canadian Army at Winnipeg Canada Next information was that he attended his brother's, Gordon William Benner, funeral in Humboldt,Sasketchewan Canada 4th July 1961 and nothing after that. Gordon was my father's father: Earl was my uncle. Earl was married to a lady named Hilda, I think!!??. Also any information about Sarah Benner would be welcomed. She died at 114 Rebecca Street, Hamilton Ontario, where she had lived since at least 1918, in sad circumstances about 27th March 1931.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am looking for Earl Benner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Benner

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Having seen the death record for Sarah KIDD in 1931, she did indeed die in sad circumstances. The Death record has absolutley no personal information for her - none was known by the Public Trustee informing of her death. It only estimated she was about 72 years old. It also said she was married.

When Earl enlisted into the CEF in 1918, his mother was named as Mrs Sarah KIDD.

MARRIAGE - 11 January 1894, Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario -
David Sam'l KIDD, 27, widower, resident of Hamilton, b Rice Lake, occ: Traveler
Parents: Arthur KIDD & Eliz'th KIDD
married: Sarah Eliz'th BENNER 30, widow, resident of Hamilton, b Co. Haldimand
Parents: John BENNER & Sarah Ann BENNER
Witness: Elmer LAURIE &  Elizabeth LAURIE - of Hamilton

The age at marriage indicates a birth abt 1864 for Sarah (though I suspect she was older)  Note that her parental surname is the same as hers - and she is described as a widow.
Rice Lake is a lake located in south-eastern Ontario, in Northumberland County , south of Peterborough and north of Cobourg

In August 1894, Sarah Elizabeth KIDD gave birth to a son, Clarence Ephraim KIDD, in Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario.The father David Samuel KIDD registered the birth.

David's first marriage:
MARRIAGE: 10 dec 1889 - Port Hope, Durham Cty, Ontario
David S KIDD 22, Bachelor, resident of Hamilton, b Hamilton, occ: Farmer,
Parents: Arthur & Eliza KIDD
married:
M.A. JOHNSON 26, Spinster, resident of Millbrook, b Millbrook
Parents: Hugh & Hannah JOHNSON
Witness' : ---? BAKER &  Dorcas GAMBLE, both of Port Hope.

The wife was Mary Ann JOHNSON. They had a stillborn male child registered 17 Dec 1892. They lived in village of Bendley, Hamilton, Ont. The  dob of the child was given as 26 Dec 1891.

Mary Ann KIDD died 13 Feb 1892, age 24 & 7mths, of Consumption. The death was registered 17 Dec 1892 (by the same Dr who registered the Stillbirth) and the informant was David KIDD, Labourer, village of Bendley.

What I find curious is this marriage :
MARRIAGE: 26 Jun 1895 - Toronto, York Cty
David Samuel KIDD 28, Bachelor, resident of Toronto, b Budley England, occ: Salesman
Parents: Arthur & Elizabeth WOOD KIDD
married: Janet LEWARNE 29, Spinster, resident of Cobourg
Parents: Nicholas & Jane H LEWARNE

It looks for all the world like David Samuel KIDD was leading a double life... Or were mistakes made on the marriage record (Budley? Bendley?) . Were he & Sarah divorced?  The predominant religion throughout is Mehodist (though Sarah was apparently Lutheran)

Having trouble find Sarah & children in 1901  - when & where was Gordon William born?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Re: Sarah's nativity.......this may be a brother:

MARRIAGE - 20 Oct 1874, Rainham, Haldimand Co, Ontario
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/hald74.htm
Philip BENNER 21, Bachelor, resident of Rainham, b North Cayuga, occ: Farmer,
Parents: John & Sarah Ann BENNER
married:
Catherine STEYER 20, spinster, resident of Rainham, b Germany,
Parents: Jacob & Catherine STEYER
Witness': William BENNER & Caroline ROTH, both of Rainham

Philip died in 1898, aged 44, from Consumption

And this may be the family in 1851:

1851: Cayuga, Haldimand Co, Ontario
John P BENNER 34, Farmer,
Sarah Anne BENNER 22
John BENNER 7
Caroline BENNER 5
William BENNER 3
Mary Jane BENNER 2
Family religion: Espicopalian. All born Canada West.

A John P BENNER died 1904, age 86, farmer, resident of Twp of Bertie, Welland Co., Ontario

There were a lot of BENNER's around Welland, Bertie, Rainham - and many similar names , probably mostly related with family named being handed down & around.

Can't find the 1851 family in 1861  :(  But I suspect that in 1871, John the father has remarrid to a woman named Christine - but not finding the trail of proof....

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
I think I can see Sarah at http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/ in Hamilton in 1901 and 1911, living alone.
Clarence Kidd is living in some sort of children's home in Ontario.

There is an entry in the British Columbia death index (see www.familysearch.org) for an Earl Benner b. 17 May 1888.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you to those who have replied but most of that info I have. Gordon was my Grandfather and was born in Fisherville Ontario 9th April 1885. Earl his brother is a real mystery. We beleive that he was married to a lady named Hilda whom he left at my Grandpa's place in Humboldt Sasketchewan the 1920s and never returned. She was still there in the 1960s. Any info about Hilda would be very welcolmed as well Sarah who was their mother seemed to have had a very unhappy life. Her 3rd son Clarence didn't seem to live past about 30 Years

Offline benner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am now looking for any descendants of the following people who were neices or nephews or related to Sarah Elizabeth Kidd/ Rouch/ nee Benner who died in Hamilton Ontario Canada in 1931. They are  Jocob H Benner: William H Benner: Willis Benner: Gardetta Dennis: Ida Luella Schumacher: Chester Benner: Leslie Benner and Alice May Hoey (who was the daughter of William Benner who was the sister of Sarah Elizabeth and married John James Hoey at Wentworth Hamilton in 1904.)
Regards
Julie Pearce nee benner

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage between Chester Delof? Benner and HAzel Dannehowes in Nov 1920 (ancestry has it indexed as 1926, not 1920).
Groom:
Chester Delof Benner
Iron Worker
Aged 21
Bachelor
Protestant
bn Township of Bertie, Ontario
Intended place of marriage Fort Evie
Parents: Willis Benner and Eloise Jensen

Bride:
Hazel Dannehowes
Domestic
Aged 18
Spinster
Protestant
bn Township of Bertie, Ontario
Parents:Garret/Garnet DAnnehowes and Tina Teal

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
There is a Chester Delos Benner who crossed the border into the US on 6/2/23.  Heading to Yarport? NY.  Wife Hazel appears to have stayed at home.  Chester intends to stay for 3 months, but I think he intends to apply for naturalisation, and I think the note at the bottom of the form suggests that he applied in 1931.

Looks like he succeeded in his application, because he appears in a 1938 directory of BUffalo, NY, living at the rear of 103 Grace (just after the intersection with Peoria)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Chester Benner died Jun 1975, in Buffalo.