Author Topic: Am looking for Earl Benner  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Am looking for Earl Benner
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Leslie Benner bn c. 1877 appears on the 1900 census in Buffalo, NY.

Leslie Benner Head  bn Dec 1876  mar 4 years  bn in Canada, both parents bn Canada, emigrated 1880, profession Tin Smith
Annie Benner  Wife  bn May 1878  mar 4 years  bn in Virginia, both parents bn Virginia
Jessie Benner  Dau  bn May 1896  bn in New York
Jennie Benner  Dau  bn July 1898  bn in New York
Celie? Benner  Brother  bn Jun 1880  bn in Canada, both parents bn Canada, emigrates 1880, profession boat maker.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I think I may be being daft here, but it looks as if Celia has changed sex between 1891 census in Canada, and the 1900 census in Buffalo........

Perhaps I should go and have more coffee!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Ok, coffee brewing, so back to the start!

In 1891, the family is in Fort Erie, Welland, Canada:
John A Benner  Male  48  Married  bn Ontario, both parents bn Ontario
Hannah  Female  40  Married  Wife  bn Ontario, both parents bn Ontario
George  Male  16  Son  bn Ontario
Leslie  Male  14  Son  bn Ontario
Elnora  Female  12  Dau  bn Ontario
Celia  Female  10  Dau  bn Ontario
Gardetti Female  8  Dau  bn US
Chester  Male  1  Son  bn US

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Jennie G Benner, dau of John Benner and Hannah Johnston, mar Samuel Dennis in 1904 (3 Aug, in LAmbton)

On the 1911 census, they are in Lambton West, indexed by ancestory as DENNIE with 2 sons - Cecil and Ellory, and a daughter Ida.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Also in 1911 census, it looks as if  John A Benner has died and Hannah has remarried to Isaac Angus.  They have step son Chester Benner living with them, which is I guess the Chester that the OP was looking for rather than Chester Delois Benner (whose father was Willis Benner, which is why I mentioned him!)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Leslie Benner has been widowed by the 1920 US census.  He is living in Buffalo, NY with his sister Hattie (bn 1880), and his 3 daughters Jennie (21), Bertha (18) and Laura (16).  He naturalised in 1917.  At least, I am assuming that he has been widowed, because he gives his marital status as Single  :-\

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting into a right muddle - not only does Cecil start off as Celia, but Leslie appears to change to Richard and Hattie (or Kattie as per ancestry index for 1910) goes from wife to sister........ :-\

Buffalo,
Richard Benner  Head  Male  Married 2 (i guess that means for the second time) 10 yrs
Hattie Benner  Wife  Female  Married 1  10 years  4 children
children: Jessie (14), Jennie (12), Bertha (9), Laura (6).

Offline EmilyButterley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benner

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Having seen the death record for Sarah KIDD in 1931, she did indeed die in sad circumstances. The Death record has absolutley no personal information for her - none was known by the Public Trustee informing of her death. It only estimated she was about 72 years old. It also said she was married.

When Earl enlisted into the CEF in 1918, his mother was named as Mrs Sarah KIDD.

MARRIAGE - 11 January 1894, Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario -
David Sam'l KIDD, 27, widower, resident of Hamilton, b Rice Lake, occ: Traveler
Parents: Arthur KIDD & Eliz'th KIDD
married: Sarah Eliz'th BENNER 30, widow, resident of Hamilton, b Co. Haldimand
Parents: John BENNER & Sarah Ann BENNER
Witness: Elmer LAURIE &  Elizabeth LAURIE - of Hamilton

The age at marriage indicates a birth abt 1864 for Sarah (though I suspect she was older)  Note that her parental surname is the same as hers - and she is described as a widow.
Rice Lake is a lake located in south-eastern Ontario, in Northumberland County , south of Peterborough and north of Cobourg

In August 1894, Sarah Elizabeth KIDD gave birth to a son, Clarence Ephraim KIDD, in Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario.The father David Samuel KIDD registered the birth.

David's first marriage:
MARRIAGE: 10 dec 1889 - Port Hope, Durham Cty, Ontario
David S KIDD 22, Bachelor, resident of Hamilton, b Hamilton, occ: Farmer,
Parents: Arthur & Eliza KIDD
married:
M.A. JOHNSON 26, Spinster, resident of Millbrook, b Millbrook
Parents: Hugh & Hannah JOHNSON
Witness' : ---? BAKER &  Dorcas GAMBLE, both of Port Hope.

The wife was Mary Ann JOHNSON. They had a stillborn male child registered 17 Dec 1892. They lived in village of Bendley, Hamilton, Ont. The  dob of the child was given as 26 Dec 1891.

Mary Ann KIDD died 13 Feb 1892, age 24 & 7mths, of Consumption. The death was registered 17 Dec 1892 (by the same Dr who registered the Stillbirth) and the informant was David KIDD, Labourer, village of Bendley.

What I find curious is this marriage :
MARRIAGE: 26 Jun 1895 - Toronto, York Cty
David Samuel KIDD 28, Bachelor, resident of Toronto, b Budley England, occ: Salesman
Parents: Arthur & Elizabeth WOOD KIDD
married: Janet LEWARNE 29, Spinster, resident of Cobourg
Parents: Nicholas & Jane H LEWARNE

It looks for all the world like David Samuel KIDD was leading a double life... Or were mistakes made on the marriage record (Budley? Bendley?) . Were he & Sarah divorced?  The predominant religion throughout is Mehodist (though Sarah was apparently Lutheran)

Having trouble find Sarah & children in 1901  - when & where was Gordon William born?

Cheers
AMBLY

David Kidd is my great uncle. He was not leading a double life. I am actually tired of the false accusations that people make about him, really. David Kidd is from Bewdley, which is a village in Northumberland County, Ontario.  Bewdley is on the west shore of Rice Lake & it is located between Peterborough & Port Hope. Bewdley was once owned by the Kidd's.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 08:49 GMT (UK) »
There seem to be 3 possible marriages for David Samuel Kidd- all three marriages are easily found on LDS site but I've posted links to them so you can see the actual records-
10 Dec.1889 to Mary Ann Johnson (died 13 Feb.1892)- LINK
11 Jan.1894 to Sarah Elizabeth Benner- LINK
26 June 1895 to Janet Lewarne- LINK

The 1895 marriage lists David as a bachelor but other details seem to fit with the first 2 marriages which is why we are wondering what was going. David & Sarah had a son Clarence in August 1894 and since David registered the birth it would seem that he and Sarah were still together at that point.
By 1901 Sarah is listed in census in Hamilton ('widowed') & son Clarence is in a children's home (post #3).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!