Author Topic: Location of "Sea View", Wexford in 1865?  (Read 10408 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Location of "Sea View", Wexford in 1865?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
my understanding is 5 registration districts - Enniscorthy (part in Carlow), Gorey, New Ross,  Shillelagh ( part in Wicklow) & Wexford.

maybe 44 is the number of superintendents districts ?  incorrect - see below

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
To see a list of the towns and townlands included in the Wexford registration district go to the townland database (www.thecore.com/seanruad), enter Wexford in the Poor Law Union search field, and click search..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
my understanding is 5 registration districts - Enniscorthy, Gorey, New Ross,  Shillelagh ( part Wicklow) & Wexford.

maybe 44 is the number of superintendents districts ?

Shane

I think you will find that it is the other way around - the 5 you list were the superintendent registration districts. I know for 100% certainty that separate birth and death registers were kept in each of the old dispensary districts, by different local registrars as I have personally examined them on many occasions.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
I beginning to think that the the full title for what's commonly referred to as a Registration district is as you said a 'Superintendent Registration Districts', and the subdivisions 'Registrars Districts'.

It looks like the common usage for the term (e.g. in BMD Index references) has dropped the 'Superintendent' prefix.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:22 BST (UK) »

maybe 44 is the number of superintendents districts ? 

so this remark by me is rubbish.... I've edited it out..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
I beginning to think that the the full title for what's commonly referred to as a Registration district is as you said a 'Superintendent Registration Districts', and the subdivisions 'Registrars Districts'.

It looks like the common usage for the term (e.g. in BMD Index references) has dropped the 'Superintendent' prefix.

Shane

Exactly. There is a description of the system at http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Ireland-civil-registration.html
- look at box on right hand side.
If you think about it, there had to be local registrar's districts. This was way before the automobile or telephone, there was no way that people would or could trudge all the way to Wexford Town to register a birth or death.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
even that site refers to the larger districts as 'civil registration districts', no mention if Superintendents.. but I get the idea, the local registrar's districts are the subdivisions of Poor Law Unions / Superintendent's Districts / Civil Registration Districts

I had mixed up the term Superintendents Districts with Registrars District. Thanks for sorting it out..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
even that site refers to the larger districts as 'civil registration districts', no mention if Superintendents.. but I get the idea, the local registrar's districts are the subdivisions of Poor Law Unions / Superintendent's Districts / Civil Registration Districts
Shane

I agree that there is a duality in the way the areas are described, which has I think confused many over the years. However, the link I gave does have a more exact description in a text box somewhat down the page on the right hand side, which does indeed mention Superintendent districts:

"each PLU became the basis for a Superintendent Registrar's District (SRD).
Just as each PLU was subdivided into Dispensary Districts, each with its own medical officer, so each SRD was subdivided into Registrar's Districts. Since the Registrar's District corresponded geographically to the Dispensary District, it was often the medical officer who took on the additional duties of the District Registrar. When not attending the sick and dispensing medicine, he was required to issue death, birth and marriage certificates and record appropriate entries in a register.
At the end of each quarter, the registers were forwarded to the District Superintendent Registrar who in turn made certified copies of the registers and sent them to the Dublin office of the Registrar General for Ireland. Civil Registration indexes covering the entire island were then made."

So it seems SRD = civil registration district, and the terminology I used earlier was a bit off the "official" usage.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
back to the original question - do we know the Registrar's district for this cert ?

Shane
My Surname Interests