Author Topic: Location of "Sea View", Wexford in 1865?  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Location of "Sea View", Wexford in 1865?
« on: Monday 16 May 11 06:39 BST (UK) »
The death registration for a g-g-g-grandmother of mine says she died in Sea View, Wexford, in 1865. Now I know that there was a terrace called Sea View off of Trinity street, but not sure that that was built by 1865. Any other alternatives that anyone knows of?
Thanks,
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
Re: Location of "Sea View", Wexford in 1865?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 11 14:49 BST (UK) »
Seaview Avenue is unlikely to be that old.
It could have been a house name - was there a parish?
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
Seaview Avenue is unlikely to be that old.
It could have been a house name - was there a parish?

No, just says "Sea View, Wexford" - which does seem to indicate that it is part of the town.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
The houses in Sea View Avenue and the cul de sac next door (Trinity Place) are of similar design and are most likely to have been constructed around the same period.

The earliest date for which I can find a reference amongst my bits & pieces to the existence of Sea View Avenue is 1st January 1893 as noted in the Bride Street Church baptism register.

Trinity Place is recorded in the 1890 baptism register so it’s likely Sea View Avenue was also in existence around this date.

It would be interesting to know exactly when these houses were built.

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer.

Their is a townland called Seaview, in the barony of Ballaghkeen, parish of Donaghmore, in the Poor Law Union of Gorey. Might be worth looking at that on a map.

Katharine.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer.

Their is a townland called Seaview, in the barony of Ballaghkeen, parish of Donaghmore, in the Poor Law Union of Gorey. Might be worth looking at that on a map.

Katharine.

Thanks for that and you are correct.  However, that Seaview is a long, long way from Wexford Town, and would never be described as "Sea View, Wexford." Further, this death was registered in the town of Wexford, and the registration rules were that deaths had to be registered at the registration office for the area in which the death occurred. That, plus the fact that the husband was a simple labourer who was from the vicinity of Wexford (they lived previously on Forth Commons), makes me think that this "Sea View" has to be in the town or close by. [Her husband registered her death, and his address is also given as Sea View].

Thanks again,
  Wexflyer

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 05:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I misunderstood your Wexford, and assumed you meant county rather than town.

Offline cinders47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
I am open to correction here but since Wexford is the 'local' registration office it could be that the Sea View could have been outside the town.   

There is a Seaview in Kilmore parish and all deaths etc would have been registered in Wexford town as there was no registrar in rural areas.

It may be worth looking at the surrounding areas.
Kehoe: Canada, Chicago, Liverpool.
Parle:Liverpool, USA.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am open to correction here but since Wexford is the 'local' registration office it could be that the Sea View could have been outside the town.   

There is a Seaview in Kilmore parish and all deaths etc would have been registered in Wexford town as there was no registrar in rural areas.

It may be worth looking at the surrounding areas.

I am afraid that this is just not so. There were a large number (40 +?) of local registration districts in Co. Wexford back in the 19th century. The registration districts corresponded to the local dispensary/health districts, and that for Wexford town did not extend very far into the surrounding hinterland. These local registration districts were in turn grouped into 5 superintendent registration districts, corresponding to the 5 poor law unions in Co. Wexford (Enniscorthy, Gorey, New Ross, Shillelagh and Wexford).

Regards,
  Wexflyer