Author Topic: williams/dodd familysummerhill  (Read 14958 times)

Offline CLEMENTS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: williams/dodd familysummerhill
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for such an interesting letter oddly enough my mother always wanted to be a teacher she passed the 11plus but her mother (my gran ) apparently told her she was needed at home to help with her younger brother and sisters so she left school aged my  14,Yes please I would love some photos of my mums family I,m not to sure about The Rockafella story I was told that Gertrude Had married late in life to a wealthy jewish man who owned either Shoe shops or shoe factories and I have her in the american census as a cook for a family in New York I was also told she lived in Coney island at one point my gran was a lovely women I was 18 when she died aged just 69 in 1983also I think Oscar died the year after but I might be wrong if thats true then  i dont think it could have been her you met, named after my mum who was given her grans second name of Alice  Hope to hear from you soon Take Care

Offline CLEMENTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
i,m sorry it was 1963 when my gran died not 1983

Offline Stuart2031

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
The white terraced house was called Mount Sion, this is the house in your photo, it was the family home on top road. Hubert Thomas was Emily's second husband. Apparently many of the records held at Gwersyllt Church were lost in a recent fire. Oscar died in January 1969 so it must have been other sisters I met, sorry.m

Offline CLEMENTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
I knew Emily was married twice her first husband was Thomas and her second husband was thomas Hubert he was a great deal younger than her she was also diabetic and lost her sight in later years and she had two or three children to him do you know anything about a connection to York Minster or a cousin who was the Mayor of Bradley I,ve only been able to search back to 1851 as there aren't any census for 1941 I was told that those census never made it to London as far as I know they were those from Denbighshire also you mentioned a drawing of oscar was that done by a relation of the family my uncle was a brilliant artist so is my brother I,m not bad but not as good as them my mum always said I take after Emily as she had a sewing machine and made her sons shirts I to enjoy sewing 

Offline CLEMENTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 May 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hello do you know anything about Emily williams nee Dodds parents or her first husband Thomas Williams parents I have records for  them if you havent got any I'm not sure how much information you have

Offline Stuart2031

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I only have family stories but no information on Emily and Thomas. Was Thomas a blacksmith by trade? The family talked about being a Dodd or a blacksmith but I was never too certain of the origin however, it was to do with certain family traits. I do know that Thomas was musical and built a small church organ that was kept in Gwersyllt church. He died of a heart attack. I knew that Emily was going blind and that Oscar was not too fond of his step Dad Hubert. Emily also had a cat that Oscar would torment occasionally when he lived at home. Stanley was one son from the second marriage he died of TB at the age of 9, Oscar described Stanley as angelic, very religious, he was very fond of him. Uncle Harry who I met as a young boy, lived in Caergwrle at the time and looked like Oscar.

Oscar fought in WW1 in the 14th batallion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers he was a Lewis Gunner. He fought at Ypres and Mametz Wood. Emily met him at London Rd station now Manchester Piccadilly on his return his Mum made him bath in the backyard before being allowed in Mount Sion. He was a coal miner at Gresford all of his working life and only missed the pit disaster of 1934 due to a medical appointment. Emily contributed to a TV programme on the 60th anniversary, I can send you a copy of the DVD if you would like to see.

I do not know about a Mayor of Bradley, Oscar was a Local Councillor in Bradley, Gwersyllt Council. No idea about York Minister. Interested in hearing your stories. I have informed my cousins, Emily's children, that we are in contact, and have given them the website.

Best wishes
Stuart

Offline CLEMENTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you that was really interesting I have been researching my family trees for about twelve years now Emilys first husband Thomas was a blacksmith but Thomas Hubert depending on which census he's on was  a miner I didnt know about Stanley my mum told me that Emilys second husband left her when she went blind  Emilys mother was Sarah Davies and her father was William Davies Thomas's father was Also Thomas I have marriage certificate for Emily and her mother as soon as I can I'll send you the photos I have, at the moment my son has them as he is airbrushing them to get the creases and marks out but I will see him at the weekend I think over the years the story might have got mixed up about a mayor of Bradley it sounds more likely it is what you said about Oscar the reason I asked about York was because my mum told me yrs ago that her mum ( my gran) was married by her own  father as he was a vicar but she couldn't have been  as he had died and she didnt get narried till 1920  so I dont know why York Minster was mentioned sometimes the family stories are like chinese whispers I know a member of her family died at Gresord collery it might have been emilys brother but I'm not sure and yes I would love a copy of the recording thank you for your help and hope to hear from you soon and maybe we can keep in touch,   Alice

Offline CLEMENTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again just thought I'd mention that I have access to Ancestry and will look up Oscars war records if I can I've looked up my grandad who was married to Jemima Emilys daughter is was in France in WW1 and found quite a bit of information about his war years

Offline Stuart2031

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 01 May 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Alice, it would be great if you could find his war record. My wife and I and friends visited Mametz Wood in 2011, very moving experience and  the most beautiful and haunting Welsh Dragon war memorial, you should find it on google images. Keep in touch. Stuart