Author Topic: Gathercole Photo Dating Request  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Clarencep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gathercole Photo Dating Request
« on: Tuesday 17 May 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have these photo that belonged to my Great Grandfather (Edward Newham Gathercole 1910-1997)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me their dates, and also if possible what is the occupation in photo 4

(Sorry for the quality, their scans of scans)

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Thanks
Clare
Tune (Yorkshire - Hull, Skipwth),
Hunter (Yorkshire - Hull, Driffield)
Hayton, Loft, Brown, Longthorn, Escreet,  Butterworth... (Yorkshire - Hull, Beverley)
Gathercole (Hull, Beverley, Bradford, Norfolk)
Jolley (Hampshire)
Logan (Wales - Pembrokeshire)
Winterton (Hull, Ramsey Huntingdonshire)
Banks ( Hull, Ireland)
Graham (Durham)
Robinson (Hull, Howden, Gilberdyke)
Powls (Goole, Swinefleet)
Newham (Beverley, Hull)

Happy to share any information found.... Thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gathercole Photo Help!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare....In 1911..Edward's Father...John Thomas Gathercole was from Barton Lincs. and was listed as a  Town Postman.

They look like railway uniforms to me.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
Enlarging the photo doesn't identify the cap badges and surfing brings other similar uniforms but not that specific one.

I wondered if the occupation uniform could be something to do with LNER, a railway porter or maybe the Royal Station Hotel staff.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare...The daters will want to see the backs of the photos as this provides clues to dating...or if you don't have the originals do you know if there was anything on the backs of them.
Looking through the censuses of your ancestors could give some clues as to their occupations.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Clarencep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info everyone...

Unfortunately I don't have the original pictures, so I can't say what is on the backs.
I'll see if I can get them from my Aunt.

As for the information regarding occupation of family members...

I have...

John T Gathercole (1868-1944) as a Letter carrier in Hebden Bridge in the 1891 Census, and a Town Postman in Mytholmroyd in the 1901 Census, and if I remember correctly from what my gran told me, he was also a postman when he lived in Beverley 1901 onwards.

His father James T Gathercole (1844-1922) was mainly a labourer, and a pig farmer, as far as I can find out

an as for other members, I can't find any with a occupation related to the railway.

I was wonder however if maybe the uniforms where either postal or could they be from the USA, as a large chunk of the family went with James T Gathercole to Broadview, Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1886.

Hayton, Loft, Brown, Longthorn, Escreet,  Butterworth... (Yorkshire - Hull, Beverley)
Jolley (Hampshire)
Banks ( Hull, Ireland)
Graham (Durham)
Newham (Beverley, Hull)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Scroll down and look at the similar uniform in the photograph on this postal heritage site:

http://postalheritage.org.uk/visiting/familyhistory/othersources
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Nice one Rena...I think you've answered her question with that link 8)

Hi Clare...As your dating request has been overlooked...I suggest you change the title of your post to bring it to the attention of the dating experts...if you click the "Modify" button on the right and change the title to include a dating request..then click save...you should get some help then.

Carol

Offline Clarencep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gathercole Photo Dating Request
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 May 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena... the site you sent me to was perfect, and the uniforms match completely with mine.
Thank you so much for helping solve the mystery uniforms for me.

Carol... Thanks for your suggestion, and I've done as you stated.... Cheers!!! :)
Jolley (Hampshire)
Banks ( Hull, Ireland)
Graham (Durham)
Newham (Beverley, Hull)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gathercole Photo Dating Request
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
I'm glad my crossed fingers worked lol.

I was on the rootschat welcome page when your subject "Gathercole" caught my eye.  I'm originally from Hull and the name Gathercole rang a faint bell.  Unfortunately, the 'bell' hasn't got any louder and I can't think where I've known the name before (if at all).