Author Topic: Robert Redmond - shot Dubin 1921  (Read 6244 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Robert Redmond - shot Dubin 1921
« on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
My notes on Robert Redmond are on this link

He was a driver for the Auxiliaries and was shot in his home on 1921 May 14 Shot while on leave
He was living in in Frankfort Cottages, Killarney St, Dublin,
I can get Killarney Street, but can anyone add anything about Frankfort Cottages?

Also the 1911 census points to him living at Gloucester St Upper, Mountjoy, Dublin. It all ties with a service record I have on him and his RIC enrolment points to this man as well. But I cannot find  that address

He certainly was working as an Auxiliary, but I couldn't find anything unique to him that would have singled him out for being shot.

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Redmond - shot Dubin 1921
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Gloucester St is now Sean McDermott St - see Gloucester St Upper  (see 25" c1890s map)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
dont know if it's connected in any way but nearby Gloucester Diamond, which was on Gloucester Street Lower was mentioned in one of your previous War of Independence topics ...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
not much detail available on Frankfort cottages - they consisted of 11 houses off Killarney Street (between numbers 8 and 9), which in turn seems to be the continuation of Gloucester Street Lower.

My guess is somewhere around here (see the 25" map)

here's a (slightly blurry) google street view of the modern street sign for the cottages

The cottages are mentioned in Thom's 1914 and 1927, but no details are given

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

As you say that area near the Diamond was the shooting of Ryan - his details are here

By the time Redmond was shot he had moved to Killarney St. Mind you virtually impossible to know where he was between 1911 and 1921m though I may get something out of his service records. I can see clearly why Ryan was shot.

Ryan had a lot written about him because of his informing the British on the whereabouts of McKee and Clancy, which led to their arrest and eventual death

I feel that there is more behind Redmonds death, and will have to look to see if there was anything in Witness Statements. Although it is difficult to know where to look without some clue as to who shot Redmond
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
I have updated the map that I have on Ryan and Redmond. here on Redmond's page

When you look at it like that, the two shootings look "connected" in some way. I can now try to go back to the WS on Ryans shooting to see if the same men say anything about Redmond. The intention would me to try to see if the same men were in fact involved.

In going through Redmond's (colourful) service record, the family appear to be living at "Friars Wood, Santry" and Scrubbs Lodge" Santry during WW1

From Wikipedia Friars Lodge appears to be off the Malahide Road, and about 2 miles further out of Dublin. I cannot find Scrubbs Lodge, but I assume it is in the same area?
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline indiansign

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 December 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corisande,

Robert Redmond was my great-great grandfather. I've just read through your page on him at  http://www.cairogang.com/adric-killed/redmond/redmond.html
Your information tallies pretty much with what I know about him. I'd be very interested to find out if you've since found out anything more about who & why (specifically) he was shot.

The wife you have listed, Anne Sheils (my gg grandmother) died in 1917. Robert Redmond re-married in 9 months later, to Mary Anne Moore. She was, apparently, with him when he was shot. They had one son.

Frankfort cottages are still there, at the bottom of Killarney St., near the five lamps.

Cheers,

Michael.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 December 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Michael

Thanks for the update. Interesting how history gets lost, I guess if you as his g-grandson do not have any family history as to why he was shot, then it will be difficult to unearth why.

I will go on adding the bits of info that come my way, you never know, something may emerge from the IRA side, or perhaps descendants of his second marriage may have some clues, have you been in contact with them?
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline indiansign

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 December 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
The history in this case was more likely suppressed, I think, than lost. There was no knowledge of this among any of my living relatives, until I turned up the info while researching my family tree a few years back.

One person I spoke to, something of a local historian, told me that Robert was shot for "being an informer", and that he was "captured" as he was about to board a ship for England. This person did not seem to be aware of the RIC element of the story, however, and had no other information to impart. The trail ran cold there I'm afraid. I've been meaning to visit the bureau of military history but haven't done so yet.

Unfortunately, the son born from the 2nd marriage died in 1999 in the UK, just a few years before I unearthed the whole story. Its still unclear whether he had any children.