Author Topic: Decipher Muster Roll Note  (Read 2747 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher Muster Roll Note
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 May 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Merv

Can you post the words over towards the left? My guess is that his number of days is less than most of the others. Also, did you photograph any other parts of the book?

Depot musters are usually thinner books bound in with the battalion/service companies' muster books. If there was more than one battalion they are usually bound in with a battalion serving at Home. The 27th Foot had three battalions in 1814, so the Depot should be in with one of the other two.

Alexander ..sorry, I didn't see your post. I think it says Serjt. Which is how they spelt it then.

Ken

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher Muster Roll Note
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 May 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken

Thanks for your reply, you may remember you helped me out with some advice on this man back in November last year, which resulted in me taking the trip to Kew.

I've attached the full entry for this quarter of the muster (25 Mar - 24 Jun 1814) it does show that he is added to the roll from 14 Apr onwards. He is listed under Privates in this muster. I photographed all the entries I found and they show the events (promotions, transfers) that I described in my last post. I'm happy with what went on there and he was discharged in 1817. I have then related that to the movements of the 1st and 3rd Battalions of the 27th Reg. I can see they were both in France (end of 1815) shortly before the 3rd were disbanded and so his transfer to the 1st (Dec 1815) makes sense.

I was hoping that the comments in this first entry might help understand what he was doing prior to this date. Unfortunately it's not easy for me to go back to Kew anytime soon, so I'll have to wait to try and find those depot musters.

I can now see what you mean regarding the Serjt. Could he have been busted down to Private?

Merv