Author Topic: COOPERS in Surrey area  (Read 54848 times)

Offline nightnurse51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COOPERS in Surrey area
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 July 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi I too take lots of pictures of graves as they can give you loads of info that you didnt know existed.
Wolfe in Kent and America  Australia and New Zealand (Found)
Bullen. in Berks, Stockwell London and New York
Mills in Croydon & Mitcham Gypsy based
Coopers from Croydon, Norwood
THompson  Croydon & Mitcham and Alnwick/ Northumberland
Green in Croydon and Peckham Camberwell
Reed in Peckham could originate in Ireland
Hunt Bushey Herts walworth Peckham  Croydon, Mitcham Gypsy based
Jessop in and around Kent
Taylors Croydon originate from Nottinghill and Acton
Gardner Mitcham

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 July 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi nightnurse

I don't have Harriet cooper and George Gladwin marriage details. I looked on two other trees and they have marriage details. something i would love to have.

jew
:)

Offline nightnurse51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there
You probably dont remember what year or where they married do you asa I am struggling to find it.
I suspect that harriets maiden name may have come from a birth certificate. She may have married before and remarried George in that name . Ill still look. In 1891 they were 31 and 30 yrs old so one was born about 1860 and the other 1859  Also I couldnt find them in 1881.
I am going to see my Dad in Woking in October and if thay married in Surrey I will pop into the Surrey Archives and do a bit of research.
I never copy from another tree unless I check it out with hard evidence such a certificate or a parish record.
How far have you gone back with your Coopers?
Do you belong to Ancestry? The person you really should get in contact with is Jackie Blackman.
She used to run a website called Passing through but for reasons I wont go into shut it down.
If I can remember rightly she is connected to Arthur Cooper from the Norwood Coopers of which Wilford and Forster  and other surrounding roads had many descendents.
I have been to work and I have some house work to catch up with, Ill take a look later on.
Regards x
Gardner Mitcham

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Nightnurse

Not sure where my mind is somtimes  ???    I send you a message that i looked at two other trees and they had marriage details,meant to say they never had marriage details..

I found Harriet and George on romany genes they lived on mitcham common.  Than moved to wilford rd.

I have gone as far as Harriets Grandparents James cooper and Harriet And her father Levi cooper.

I'm on genes and Ancestry.   Just thought i say,you said you take photos of graves.  Been to queens today to take photos of graves who could be family?  And other names i have in my tree..  I have 3 photos of cooper graves from while back and found 3 more today. Hope i can fit them to my tree sometime.

Thanks if you can help find marriage of Harriet and george.

jew

Offline nightnurse51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 July 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
No probs it was not unusual for a marriage not to take place. for whatever reason.
Ill keep looking. I am just putting some old photos on facebook for my cousin.
I will gradually update you on Levi as I find it. There are a couple of Levis so we will have to be careful   that we pick up the right one
But I have some baptisms of the children of Samuel Cooper 1794 and Florina. (according to the 1851 census was born in Beckenham.
Faurnitty Cooper bap 6 apr 1823 Ewell Surrey
Vansloe Cooper 24 April 1825 bap Ewell Surrey
Nelson Cooper bap 15 Mar 1829 Bap Eltham Kent
William Cooper bap 21 Aug 1831  Upper Norwood

I find a baptism  of a William Cooper on the 10th oct 1865 to a Levi and SARAH traveller Ashtead Surrey.
Now is that your Levi ?? or not we  ask ourselves/
Gardner Mitcham

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi nightnurse

I have not got a levi and sarah on my tree.

I've looked at 3 peoples trees who all related to me. And all of them have Levi cooper Died 17/3/1893 No birth?  Death croydon. Married counselletti Hilton Death date 3/5/1891 no birth date?

Buried with them Anne Braithwaite and levi and counselletti Granddaughter Eliza smith. I don't know much about coopers.  But we get there.

Thank-you

julie

Offline nightnurse51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 July 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
The chances that the Anne braithwaite may or may not be a relative, but if the Coopers were in a common grave, thay can put anyone in there.
I came up trumps with my gt gt grandmother when I found her grave, in qr cemetary  unmarked and asked Croydon bereavement office in mitcham road if I could put a plaque on it they told me I had to name oll occupants and it turns out she had a son and a daughter in there as well.
They are very helpful so if you know of a relative's death year and qrtr a rough idea where they were living they will trace it as QR cemetary is data based.
I have just found  your entry in the website My brighton and Hove website which I found interesting and very informative.
THe Dellaway connection pricked my ears up as my great grandfathers sister married a Dellaway so I might try and go forward to see who her children were and if there may be a connection.
Her first three children with George Gardner were George b abt 1888, Catherine Louisa b 1891 but reg as Gardiner the same as Noah in 1895.
She married George Dullaway in June qtr 1907 under her maiden name, but I think the family name was Dellaway.
I know the Gillams married into the Dellaways because I have found children b post 1911 with mothers name of Gillam. My Uncle Tony often mentions the Gillams.
There are several possibilities of children from 1907 to 1910 Ill have to go on the 1911 census.

Gardner Mitcham

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 July 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Nightnurse

My Dellaway i was a patrica who married a ward he could still be living. Than went on to marry my uncle George potter.

My G-gran susan curd sister kate married a Robert Glliam croydon. Alot of people are related to each other from wilford rd areas. Small world.

I need to go to mitcham office because my GG-gran Harriet cooper who married George gladwin. She is buried in Queens rd croydon. Buried by her daughter Alice(councey) Found she is buried in a paupers grave with 5 other people who may not be related.  I have her grave number if its right. See if i can get them to put a marker on the spot she was buried.  Plus i have death date and place.

I have 6 cooper graves i taken photos from Queens rd.  if you or anyone on here want details of the graves i could put on here.  Can't fit them on my tree as i don't know who they are.

Have nice day weather nice.

jew

Offline nightnurse51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 25 July 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Daniel Cooper and Jane are on Jaqui Gomms mums grave.
Give me the details and I will see if I can connect. Dont forget Cooper is a common name and they are not necessarily all travellors but I suspect being in QR they are.
I have found a record for Levi Cooper in the criminal records at Maidstone for Larceny under his mothers maiden name of lee he got a year. 12 Mar 1855.
Gardner Mitcham