Author Topic: HORE Family Photo's (Roche, St Austell, Cornwall)  (Read 14087 times)

Offline chris meathrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HORE Family Photo's (Roche, St Austell, Cornwall)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
 :o Metherell link from Chris Meathrel, researcher and genealogist with DFHS and Guild of One Name Study. Information available on this family, please contact me on

Kind regards
chris

Moderator CommentL email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses, as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 August 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hellloooo down the years. ;)

I will try to contact people individually if they don't see this message.

I seem to descend from two as yet unconnected batches of Hores/Hoars/Hoares.

1. YDNA testing (male-line descent) has matched my Hill male line in Cornwall up with the Hore/Hoar family of St Austell, from which keweena49950 descends. This line has a paper trail going back to 1552 and possibly two generations farther back (per many on-line trees and discussions with a descendant in one of the Michigan Hoar branches). I have just posted this thread about that:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657141

2. Traditional genealogy (relying on strong circumstantial evidence, for want of a key baptism) indicates that a maternal ancestor in that Hill line (my grx3 grandmother, at least per the paper trail) was a Hoare of St Enoder/Newquay. In this post, I explained how someone had mixed that Hoare line up with the St Austell Hores/Hoars in the mid-late 1700s and I gave some info about "my" line:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=581741.msg4675705#msg4675705

So it looks like:

1. my paternal Hill is actually a St Austell Hore/Hoar line from some point, which could be
- 12-24 generations back (99% likelihood of common ancestor at 24 generations, which would be before surnames so Hill and Hore would likely be surnames of two different branches)
- my gr-grfather Hill's father, who may not have been Mr Hill c1820 despite the official records
- somewhere in between, e.g. my gr-grfather Hill's grandfather (if he was), Mr Hill c1795 or earlier, really being a Hore/Hoar

2. my maternal Hoare in the Hill line is either
- the grandmother of my Hill gr-grfather, or
- no relation at all if his father was not actually her son, the Mr Hill c1820 named on my gr-grfather's records (and was either someone in the St Austell Hore/Hoar line or a total stranger).

;)

smudger28, I'm curious about your Thomas Hoare of Liskeard. Does he appear in 1861 as born c1801, married to Mary, or born c1803 married to Margaret? Or neither? ;) ... one was son of John and Mary 1800, one was son of William and Mary 1803 (both baptised Hoar). Baptisms to John and Mary starting in 1792 are the first appearance of Hoar/e in Liskeard in parish records.

Anyhow, I'm interested in pursuing the DNA testing and may go for YDNA67, to refine the St Austell Hore/Hoar result, and also maybe family finder to start trying to segregate out the maternal and paternal stuff, to see whether my gr-grfather really is the product two Hore/Hoar/Hoare lines, and try to figure out how and when. But if nobody else is testing, I got nobody to sort it out against ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Rita Kidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
G day Paul my HORE family lived in Mollinis St Austell for about 200 years My great grandfather Hezekiah HORE his wife Drusilla HORE nee WARNE with their 2 Girls came to Australia and when his wife died , Hezekiah returned to St Austell in c 1915
Hezekiah was one of 11 Children born to Joseph HORE and Ann STONEMAN
love to meet anyone with connection to this large family
kind regards
Rita

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita, I think it's just thee and me left here ;) (Paul posted back in 2005.)

Hezekiah was born in 1847 (all the known dates are necessary bits of info). Do you know his father Joseph's parents' names? Joseph's father's name would be on his (Joseph's) marriage certificate. He seems likely to be the one in the 1841 census with parents William and Jane and these siblings:

William Hore   50
Jane Hore   45
William Hore   20
Jane Hore   20
James Hore   15
> Joseph Hore   15
Simon Hore   10
Ruben Hore   9
Daniel Hore   8

baptism:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=2244515

One way or another he will be related to the Hore line that my Hill line is apparently part of, and thus you and I will be related ... somehow ... way back.

I did do the Y67 DNA test for my male family member and the close match with the Roche/St Austell Hore held up. That person and I pretty certainly have a common ancestor after 1500, but I still have no way of knowing who or where, with no paper trail on my side beyond the marriage of a Hill c1820 who can't be traced farther back. (He had the bad grace to die before 1835 - his wife remarried then - so there is not even a census or death certificate that might give me a hint, even to his age.) We have not yet found another Hore/Hoare/e descendant from Cornwall to test and join the project, to try to triangulate our results.

I do have family tree info for the Hore family of Roche/St Austell, from the family member now in the US, to whom my family has the close match. And I know that a sibling or sibling of the man who emigrated to the US c1850 did emigrate to Australia -- but of course that would be a generation earlier than your Hezekiah.

If you can confirm who Joseph's father was, I can check against that family and see whether I can tell how far back your connection is.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 05:12 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather, William Hore Davey, was born in St. Austell in 1838.  His mother's name was Jenepher Hore, born 1804.  The family evidently came from near Roche.  There  is a farm there called Mollinis that they lived on sometime in the 1700s.

William H. Davey's father's name was also William.  I think he was born in Sheviock.  My great-grandfather married Selina Metherell in Tavistock in 1863.  By the 1870 census, they were living in Calumet, Michigan, USA.  He died there in 1898.  He was a copper miner in Cornwall, Devon, and Michigan.

Rita - interesting to note that that is the name of the residence of William and Jane, parents of the Joseph baptised in 1821.

And the copper mines of Michigan was where the US Hore family I am somehow related to emigrated to c1850 -- but they were not miners themselves, having invented some significant piece of mining machinery in an earlier generation, apparently, and thus amassed some capital.

Offline Rita Kidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
gday again yes Hezekiah 's grandparents were
William and Jane HORE nee KNIGHT
the children I have are
Betsy 21 03 1814
Jane   dec 1814
William  1819
Joseph Sep 1821
James Jun 1824
Reuben 23 May 1829
Rueben Knight 22 May 1831
Daniel 28 Sep 1833
Hezekiah 15 Mar 1836 came to Australia like so many of the HOREs
hope this helps
kind regards
Rita

Offline Phil Hosken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HORE (Roche, St Austell, Cornwall)
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was the editor of Cornish World Magazine for six years, 1994-2000.  During that time I was in touch with many Cornish families around the world.  I find I have a bundle of Hore family records including the steam ship Ivanhoe and would like them to go to a family member.  I am in Redruth and can arrange delivery in Cornwall.
Phil Hosken

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Phil, I'm going to private message you. I have a YDNA match with the Hore family in question (how or when we don't know), and I would like to give the person in question a chance to get these items. She is in the US and I am in Canada, but hopefully something can be worked out!

Offline Rita Kidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HORE (Roche, St Austell, Cornwall)
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was the editor of Cornish World Magazine for six years, 1994-2000.  During that time I was in touch with many Cornish families around the world.  I find I have a bundle of Hore family records including the steam ship Ivanhoe and would like them to go to a family member.  I am in Redruth and can arrange delivery in Cornwall.
Phil Hosken

Hello Phil
my Cornish Great grandparents and family came from St Austell to Australia and my Greatgrandfather return to Cornwall when his wife died he remarried and died there  many of Hezekiah HORE family emigrated to South Australia and Victoria I would love to have the info but sadly I am in Australia thank you RIta