Author Topic: Possibly Evangelist Gipsy Simon Smith?  (Read 13502 times)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly Evangelist Gipsy Simon Smith?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
You probabaly know this story, but an Old Methodist minister once told me that Gypsy Smith once slid down the handrail of the pulpit steps to illustrate Man's descent into Hell.

Wonderful stuff!

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline momofreds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 June 11 01:26 BST (UK) »
Maxtyler,
I tried to contact you on FB but have not had a response.  Please contact me on FB.  Liana Jopson Brennan. That way we are not using this site for our personal business.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline onemcfamily

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 July 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
So thrilled to find this chat! My great grandmother was Florence Sarah Smith.  From what I am told Simon could have been her brother. Gypsy Rodney Smith was her uncle.
This is her at 18. She married William May and then was married to Frederick Eli Dollin.

If anyone knows any more info I would be very greatful!

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi onemcfamily,

Have just seen your post ... sorry for the 4 year delay! Lovely photo of your ancestor, Florence Sarah Smith. How have you got on with discovering her ancestry?  You say her brother may have been Simon Smith (a son of Bartholomew Smith) and that she was a niece of Gipsy Rodney Smith's ... but for her to have had Rodney as an uncle her father would have to be Ezekiel Smith, Rodney's only brother, who married Eliza Shaw.  Unfortunately, having tracked Ezekiel's family through the census returns, there is no sign of a Florence; his only daughter seems to have been a Matilda.  Have you discovered an alternative connection between Florence and Rodney, other than that of niece?

If, as you were told, she might have been a sister of Simon, then Gipsy Rodney Smith would have been a 1st cousin, not an uncle (Simon's father Bartholomew and Rodney's father Cornelius were brothers) ... but I've yet to discover a sister of Simon's with the name Florence.  Family legend - passed on by Gipsy Rodney Smith - has it that Bartholomew gave all his children biblical names ... though I've already discovered an exception to the rule with his 1883 son, Bertie! However, in 1911 Bartholomew's wife is listed as having had 13 live births, whereas I have only found 11 children to date, so I'm not ruling anything out.

- Sarah

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
This should make interesting reading for those with an interest in this;
http://www.biblebelievers.com/gypsy_smith/index.html

My interest arises from the fact that my Great-Grandfather David  Conway was among those who Gypsy was later to refer to as "My friends from Hanley".

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk