Author Topic: 1918 Birth NSW GIDDEY*COMPLETED* with thanks  (Read 3262 times)

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Birth NSW GIDDEY*COMPLETED* with thanks
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 December 21 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grace and Margaret,
These Giddeys are descended from John Giddy, son of William Giddey and Frances, who lived in Higher Thorn, Warleggan, in about 1796. William died soon after, and Frances married again but had no more children. John had many children who went to Australia. His son Thomas is the ancestor of Reginald Samuel Giddey. My ancestor John Charles Giddey is the son of Ann, one of John Giddy's daughters. She did not name the father of John Charles on his birth registration, nor was John Charles baptised, as far as I can see. John Charles later joined the Royal Marines and followed his uncles to Australia, settling in Sydney. He was my mother's grandfather. His mother Ann later married Paul Penrose but had no other children as far as I can ascertain. Margaret and I are distant cousins. We have corresponded in the past but have now lost touch, sadly. 
Glad to have made contact with you.
Shane Marsh (female, in Canberra, Australia).

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Birth NSW GIDDEY*COMPLETED* with thanks
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 December 21 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grace and Shane, thank you both for the updates.

I am descended  from John Giddy/Giddey/Gedye's son William, brother to both Ann and Thomas, therefore Grace, Shane and I are all distant cousins. William, his wife Jane nee Caddy and children Millicent and Thomas (my great grandfather) also travelled to Australia in 1875 and settled in Sydney.

As you know Shane, this branch of our family has been very challenging to research with all the variations in the spelling of their surname.

It's great to hear from you again Shane,

Margaret :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx