Author Topic: Shumacker Johnson Wedding 1844 Cork  (Read 8797 times)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shumacker Johnson Wedding 1844 Cork
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, new member here  :)

I'm looking for a marriage in Cork 1 December 1844 between Henry Schumacker and Catherine Johnson. I have this date from various birth certificates.

I am also looking for their son Henry Shumacker born around 1846 in Cork. There are two other children born in Ireland, assumed also to be in Cork:

Mary ~ 1850
Noble ~ 1852

Any advice greatly appreciated

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
Re: Cork Marriage Shumacker
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
Not sure where your up to in finding out about researching Irish records? There's good info on this site under 'Irish Resources'.

Not sure if you have other details such as occupations, religion or possible areas in Cork they lived.
Seems to be a few Schumaker's in Killmallock?

All this is good to know so ideas/thoughts can be offered.

Nevertheless I've been researching a number of Johnson families in Cork so I'm interested from this perspective.

Haven't found  a S(c)humaker connected to Johnson's on the various sites such as IrishGeneology or Mallow Heritage Centre. Where the  baptism's you mentioned in Cork?

There is a possible clue which you may already know? You mentioned a first name 'Noble'. Not common in Cork.
However there were a number of Noble Johnson's, Fathers and son's, living in Rockenham Passage West.

This Johnson family came to Cork in the late 17th Century.
Noble Johnson Esq was Major of Cork in 1809; his son William and later Grandson, also Noble,  lived at Rockenham. Not sure if he had a daughter Catherine...a list of some of the family can be found in an online book  'A selection of arms authorized by the laws of heraldry'.

I recall that there were quite a number of mentions of Noble Johnson in various Cork newspapers  and because they were well known, marriages are more likely to be mentioned in the papers of the day.
You could try IrishNewspapersArchives.com. It costs but it's a great site and one I've found very useful.

It might be worth checking other online mentions of this family if you think it might be relevant.

Hope this ain't a red herring?

padraig
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cork Marriage Shumacker
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this

So far I have:

Catherine Johnston b 1827 -1829 Ireland, m 1/12/1844 Cork, d 6/4/1909 Glasgow aged 78
Henry Shumacker b 1819-23 Hanover, m 1/12/1844 Cork,   Sugar boiler
Henry Shumacker b 1846 Cork, m 5/2/1878 Glasgow, d 31/3/1899 Seaman

Information from birth certificates, death certificates and 1861 & 71 censuses

I have seen the Noble Johnson in Rockingham, Cork  in Griffiths valuation but I have been unable to connect this to my Catherine Johnston.

I have not been able to find the birth of Catherine or wedding of Catherine & Henry or the birth of their son Henry.

They named one of their children Noble Shumacker (b 1851), so this ties in with Catherine's father being Noble Johnson.

I think that the family must have left Ireland between 1852 and 1858

I will follow up with some of the resources mentioned

Catherine's death certificate gives her fathers occupation as brewer.

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shumacker Johnson Wedding 1844 Cork
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 March 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
I have this date, Dec 1844, from Scottish birth certificates. They moved to Scotland ~ 1854

I have not been able to find any record of the marriage. Can anyone suggest anything.

The birth certificates give m Dec 1844 Cork.

Henry Shumacker, b  ~1830 Hanover

Catherine Johnson b~1831 Ireland  Parents Noble Johnson & Mary Edwards

As I write this I realise that the dates don't match up, they would have been around 14. Yet the estimated birth dates come from various censuses and the marriage date from a birth cert.

Yet another mystery from this line

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Shumacker Johnson Wedding 1844 Cork
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
To check for the marriage you would really need to know the denomination the family were, and also which part of Co. Cork it took place. RC records for the South West of the county are available free on www.irishgenealogy.ie. RC and CofI records for some other sections of Co. Cork, mostly the north east, are on a pay-website.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 March 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Marriage record for Schumacker/Johnson December 1844 Cork, name given as Margaret Johnson.

There is a baptism record on irishgenealogy.ie for a Margaret Johnson, 14/08/1828. Parents Thomas Johnson & Elizabeth Canty. Baptism is in Clonakilty.

Regards

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 12 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these replies.

This family is so elusive I tend to follow up every lead I can get on the Shumacker side. I wonder how I can find more information on this wedding you refer to?

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shumacker Cork marriage 1 December 1844
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
Anyone got any suggestions why I can't find this marriage?

Been looking for a number of years, including posting on this site. I have this date from subsequent birth certificates.

The groom's name is Shumacker, a sugar boiler from Hanover.

The bride's name is Johnson.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cork marriage 1 December 1844
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 May 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
Anyone got any suggestions why I can't find this marriage?

Been looking for a number of years, including posting on this site. I have this date from subsequent birth certificates.

The groom's name is Shumacker, a sugar boiler from Hanover.

The bride's name is Johnson.

Civil registration of Catholic mariages started in 1864 and non-Catholic marriages in 1845 so you need to search for a church record of the amrriage. Not all registers for this period survive and of those that do not all are available online (pay or subscription sites).

You've asked for help finding this marriage before- duplicate posts cause needless extra work for those trying to help and are not going to make the information magically appear.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,534462.0.html

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!