Author Topic: "South-well" or "Suth-ull"?  (Read 20487 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: "South-well" or "Suth-ull"?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 May 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
My son reminded me of another one today. Mansfield Woodhouse - Woodus
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
I used to belong to the "Suthull" school, but after becoming friendly with a native, was converted to the "South-well" camp.

Another one which I've heard, from a little further south: "GranTH - am" or "GranT -ham"
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 May 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Many years ago, when touring UK, we were constantly bemused by the way locals pronounced place names.   After about a week of this, we came to be looking for a place (don't remember where) and sat and practised the name as we thought people might say it, only to discover that it was pronounced phonetically!   Foiled again.

Out here in Oz, in NSW and Qld. there are places called Canowindra.  In NSW it's pronounced Can - ourn - dra and in Qld it's can-o-win-dra.

:D  :D  :D  :D

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 May 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
Not a place name, but My Dad told me that Featherstone-Haugh was pronounced "Fanshawe"
He was Scottish.  There was another one as well, but just can't remember it right now.  Time I was asleep!   :)  Nighty night!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 May 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
I dont live in Southwell - but as a Notts person know that we acknowledge both Southwell and Suth-all.

I have always believed that those born to the area called it Suth-all and those who have 'moved-in' called it Southwell. It call it Southwell.

Added to this is, I believe, a class 'thing' i.e. what sort of money you have. If you were a middle class professional you would call it Southwell. I know 2 professional people who were not born there, but had the money to buy one of the higher price houses in the 'village' or center, that insist that it is called Southwell!!!!
Areas: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire.

Main Names: Wood, Taylor, Beckworth, Whysall, Hull [and many others when I go off on a tangent!! lol]

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 May 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
I'm Nottm born and bred and say "Suthell" but concur the knowledge that dwellers therein call it "South-well".

Maybe we need a thread to capture all this.  For instance "we" say "Fosson" for Foston (near Grantham) and "Illson" for Ilkeston.  I've also heard the uninformed say "Bass-fud" (as in Sea Bass) instead of "Base-fud" for Basford.

Sherwood
Good idea, extend it to Lincolnshire as there are some gems there, e.g. How is Saltfleetby pronounced?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 May 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Not a place name, but My Dad told me that Featherstone-Haugh was pronounced "Fanshawe"
He was Scottish.  There was another one as well, but just can't remember it right now.  Time I was asleep!   :)  Nighty night!

Jeanne
Bottomley is pronounced B*mley in some circles! ;) Just to be clear, the missing letter is a vowel, and it is NOT a; e; i; or o.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 May 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
i live just off suthall rd, and my husband is not a local he is from hampshire and he always says southwell, and i always say suthall.

we also used to live in pleasley, which my dad pronouced please-ly but it is definatley pronounced plesley
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 May 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
If we're talking about Lincs place names - what about Cowbit, a village just outside Spalding?   Any guesses before I or another local person tell you? 
NC.