Author Topic: Michael McGarry from Co. Roscommon, born 1877  (Read 18567 times)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McGarry from Co. Roscommon, born 1877
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 11 09:34 BST (UK) »
I notice that one of the Patrick's who is a farmer in Roscommon has a son called Timothy, and Michael named his first son Timothy, so perhaps there's a connection there as it's not that common a name.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Roscommon_Rural/Ballingarel/783436/

My Grandmother (on the other side of the family) always told me they were from a place that began with the letter B but she couldn't remember the place name, and guessed at Ballymoe in later years. So the McGarrys listed in that link are a definite possible, but still, how can I ever be sure?

Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 June 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
As Michael married away from his home he may have been asked for his baptismal certificate and the church records may have noted this
You could ask the Church for what they recorded of the wedding

I have asked someone I know from Mayo with railway interests if there is any other way of finding out more information and will get back to you

If Patrick and Margaret are proven correct
they were married in 1865
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dk0/

Their children were
Thomas born July 1867
Mary Sep 1869
John Oct 1871 (may have died in Mass USA in 1905)
Michael Sep 1873
Martin Aug 1875
Timothy Oct 1877

Margaret's name spelt Kearns and Kerins on www.familysearch.org

Patrick and Margaret are also listed in Ballinagard in 1901 (note name difference due to misinterpretation of handwriting) Ballingard is just outside Roscommon Town
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 June 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks so much for all of this info. Looking at this, I see they already had a son called Michael born 1873, so I guess that can't be them then, unless he died and they re-used the name (I've seen examples of this done in other branches of my family). My Michael would've been born 1877. The census for 1911 does say they had 6 children, with 4 living. So that's possible.

I will get onto the Church today and see if they recorded anything.

We'll get to the bottom of this eventually!

I was unable to find Ballingarel on a map, Ballinagard makes more sense. I will mention that town name to my Grandmother and see if it means anything to her but she is unlikely to remember much about this now.

I still have no idea when Michael died, so I can't request a death cert just yet. I've looked through the registers online but none seemed to really fit.

There is a family mystery associated to this Michael, so he may not have been in Claremorris anymore when he died. I will PM you more information about this as it may ring a bell with the person you are seeking further info from.
Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 June 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
received PM thanks!

there is not much difference between 1873 and 1877 when looking at family history in that era - ages were often guessed at

Look at the couple Patrick and Margaret on the census; they went from age 55 & 54 in 1901 to each being 71 in 1911! Michael went from 23 to 32 (+9) and Timothy from 21 to 29 (+8)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 June 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
That's true, I've encountered that many times while working on my family tree.

Sara was 35 when she married, I know this as I already had her birth registration details, but her marriage cert says she is 33. I have seen cases where the age was out by 12 or so years.

While browsing irelandoldnews.com I came across an article from the early 1900s that said people were lying about their ages on census documents to get a pension (or some such payout) earlier than they were entitled to it.

Hah, that Patrick and Margaret certainly took a jump in age!

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 June 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother [on the other side of the family] confirms to me that Ballinagard is the town that Michael McGarry comes from.

I wouldn't depend on her memory 100%, but she always told me it was 'Ball' something and when she heard me say 'Ballinagard' she jumped at it immediately. So I'm happy enough to pursue Ballinagard further now!

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
I still haven't been able to find out when Michael died, if anyone would be able to help me out with locating a date so I could request a cert, that would be excellent.

I've tried familysearch many times but I haven't spotted anything that suits.

I'm a bit baffled at this point, he is buried at Balinasmal Friary in Claremorris, but we were never able to put dates on the grave and this is something I would like to do.

Any help on this appreciated, thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
If he died before 1958 he should be listed in civil registration index- with the details there you'll be able to order the death certificate to find the exact date, etc.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline VH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 August 11 01:09 BST (UK) »
Another possibility is Ballinagare which is a few miles north of Castlerea. McGarry name found in that general area.  Have not had chance to look up census.