Author Topic: Completed Thank You Aunt's name -what is it?  (Read 6568 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aunt's name -what is it?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 May 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
I think you need to be flexible regarding the surname at that time - Cummins/Cummings are likely the same family, everything else being equal of course.  ;) Just different interpretations ...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 May 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
You say that according to John's d/c his parents are Col John Cummins and Sarah McBeth. Do you have John's marriage to Agnes to confirm these parent's names?

When did John Cummins go to NZ? Did he travel alone or with other family members?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 May 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Also, the "t" in Aunt is formed differently from the last letter of elusive word ....

Sorry, have no idea what it could be .... Israel comes to mind, but that Capitalised letter doesn't seem to be "I"

Cheers, JM

I read this as Israel on first glance too.  The initial letter looks like I and the last letter could be l or t.
Are we assuming this is the aunt's first name or surname?  My mother referred to her father's sister as Aunt Craigen (her married surname) not Aunt Caroline - though this was 60 + years later than the subject inscription, that she knew her.  So Israel could be her surname?  Would this fit?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 May 11 01:27 BST (UK) »
The only other name I could 'see' there was Isabel  but I admit it would have to be a very stunted letter b..........

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 May 11 02:12 BST (UK) »
Compare the 't' of Aunt with the last letter of the name. They are the same, but the nib was more loaded with ink in the 't' of Aunt.

If you look carefully you can see the same flourish crossing the 't' in the name, though it is feinter and faded. The letter definitely is 'crossed' so not an 'l'.

I think we need to consider the amount of ink in the nib when considering the formation of the letters in this dedication.

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 May 11 04:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all this help. Apparently John Cummins was a trader and was on a ship that was sailing the South Pacific ,trading with the islanders, John Cummins and Agnes Dick were married in the Bay of Islands in New Zealand in 9 Sept 1841, the only proof I can find of the marriage is the annoucement in the Caledonia Mercury Saturday 24 April 1842.
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 May 11 06:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all this help. Apparently John Cummins was a trader and was on a ship that was sailing the South Pacific ,trading with the islanders, John Cummins and Agnes Dick were married in the Bay of Islands in New Zealand in 9 Sept 1841, the only proof I can find of the marriage is the annoucement in the Caledonia Mercury Saturday 24 April 1842.

I wonder if may be worth asking on the NZ board if they know where to find a certificate for this marriage? They're a very knowledgable and helpful bunch over there.  ;)

I did have a look at SP last night but couldn't find a Cummin*/ McBe*th marriage in Scotland. Of course they may have married elsewhere, but as you say that son John is thought to have been born 1808 in Aberdeenshire, then this would be the obvious first place to look. (I'm thinking that Aunt 'Janet' may have come from this side of the family, so trying to track them down as you mention you have been unable to find them.)

The reason I asked about the marriage certificate to confirm parent's names is that I've encountered several cases where Australian death certificates give the wrong parent's (usually mother's) name.

This post almost needs to be split between Scotland and NZ. You can post for help on both of these boards, but provide links to all related threads to save duplication of effort by any rootchatters willing to help.

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
  Ithink have found the writer of the inscription. This is not definite, but it makes sense. Thomas Dick's Parents were John Dick and Margaret McGowan.He also had a number of siblings, one of whom did not marry, she was Jean Dick born 1792 Linlithgow. Margaret McGowan parent's were Thomas McGowan and Jean Tait.
In the 1851 census-There is a Jean Dick  1793  Born in Linlithgow working as a housekeeper for her Aunt, Janet Tate born 1765.Address 24 High Street Linlithgow. Janet is listed as an annuitant-house proper
In 1856 39 High Street Linlithgow Janet Tate a widow, aged 91 died. Her parents are listed as Thomas McGowan and Jean Tait.
Just  to note that in the 1861 census Jean Dick is listed as living in 66 High Street and is Proprietor of Houses.
My best bet for Janet is Great Aunt Janet Tate She would know the story of Elizabeth Martha Cummins and how she was the first European child born in Tonga, from her niece Jean Dick and could have sent the bible, with one of Elizabeth's uncles, who went to live in Australia.
Thank you everyone, I would never had seen Janet or Jennet in the inscription, if you had not pointed it out. Chris
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

If Janet Tate/Tait was a lady of property, she left a will?

Maybe if there is then any names on there may provide more ..... ?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).