Author Topic: Quinnin Grave  (Read 2660 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quinnin Grave
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 21 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hexham Cemetery burial registers are available to view on Family Search.
I've had a look through the relevant years but don't see anything for either Martin or Margery Quinnin

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS2P-MSR3-G?i=5&cat=975419
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 May 21 14:15 BST (UK) »
I just realised that the original question was posed 10 years ago!
It's possible that the burial has been found since then  :-\

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
JenB -- like you I didn't notice the date of the OP !! That's twice in a few days that I have responded to an ancient post!!

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 May 21 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm shocked to see so many replies to this old post!

JenN and AllanUK - Thanks so much for your responses. Back in 2014 I discovered that Martin and Margery Quinnin were buried in the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Stamfordham, as were a few of their children, and even a great-grandchild. They don't have a headstone, sadly, but using the parish records I was able to guess the general area where they are. We went and laid flowers for them and our other relatives soon after. Stamfordham is such a beautiful village.

Leopardprintcat - Thanks so much for reaching out! I've been to Wallridge a couple of times, just passing through. On one occasion we spoke to a man who had known my Great Uncle Barty, who died in 1985. He told us a few stories of how harsh the winters in Wallridge were, and about a German man named Otto who my Uncle Barty was good friends with, who lived a couple of doors down from him. Wallridge is thought of so fondly in my family. Many of my older relatives remember the days of getting the bus there and staying with relatives - at one point most of the occupants of Wallridge appear to have been Quinnin relatives of some description!

Thanks and kind regards,
pckl
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline Leopardprintcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm shocked to see so many replies to this old post!

JenN and AllanUK - Thanks so much for your responses. Back in 2014 I discovered that Martin and Margery Quinnin were buried in the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Stamfordham, as were a few of their children, and even a great-grandchild. They don't have a headstone, sadly, but using the parish records I was able to guess the general area where they are. We went and laid flowers for them and our other relatives soon after. Stamfordham is such a beautiful village.

Leopardprintcat - Thanks so much for reaching out! I've been to Wallridge a couple of times, just passing through. On one occasion we spoke to a man who had known my Great Uncle Barty, who died in 1985. He told us a few stories of how harsh the winters in Wallridge were, and about a German man named Otto who my Uncle Barty was good friends with, who lived a couple of doors down from him. Wallridge is thought of so fondly in my family. Many of my older relatives remember the days of getting the bus there and staying with relatives - at one point most of the occupants of Wallridge appear to have been Quinnin relatives of some description!

Thanks and kind regards,
pckl

Hello,

Not sure if this will be of interest to you. But our neighbours tell us that originally Wallridge Cottages were miner's cottages (you can see the entrance to the mine shaft in the field behind the cottages - there's an old building with no roof there). The story goes that the mine owners were warned the mine would flood, but they went ahead with its creation anyway, as foretold the mine flooded, but by then the mine workers had already been moved into the newly built cottages. The miners who'd moved into their nice new cottages were then told they would have to leave, but they refused.
So they stayed and were basically squatters in the houses. For years the place held a bad reputation locally because of this, its said even the school bus wouldn't drive through.

I can kind of see why they wouldn't want to leave, now I live here.

I'm not sure how much of this story is true, but I thought it was interesting :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
It’s good to know that you found them at last.
Yes Stamfordham is lovely, as is the church.