Author Topic: *Completed, with thanks!* Amy Lucy Bradley and Emma Mary Ann Sharman - Battersea  (Read 19784 times)

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

Excuse me if I ramble a tad! I am researching my family tree, and am completely stuck! The 'Dickeson' side of my family is very well documented, but the Bradley and Duffield/Banks/Sharman sides... well, not so easy!

Firstly, the Bradley side. In 1893 Amy Lucy Bradley (1876 - 1957) of Speke Road, Battersea, London married Robert Dickeson - my Great Great Grandfather. Her mother was Elizabeth (about 1837 - 1916, also listed as Eliz), and her father was William (no details known, he was listed as 'deceased' on the marriage certificate). She had at least one sibling, a brother named Frederick (Alfred or Amos - have looked in to both names. Based on occupations, addresses etc I do not think it was Amos) Bradley (b 1870 about). I believe there may have been other siblings, as  her mother would have been around 35 when she had Frederick, which was much older than average for a first child. I have found Eliz(abeth), Amy and Frederick on the 1881 and 1891 censuses (no William).

I am unable to find a birth or baptism record for Amy Lucy (or Amy) Bradley. I do have a possible record for Frederick: 1870 at Clapham St. Paul. I would appreciate any help in tracing Amy Lucy Bradley.

Secondly, Banks/Sharman. My Great Grandmother, Ellen Violet Smith/Duffield's  (1904 - 1995. Some confusion, am awaiting a birth certificate) mother was Eunice Martha Duffield (nee Banks - about 1878 - ?). Eunice Martha's first husband died in 1902, and she married my G. Grandmother's father Thomas William Smith (about 1869 - 1942) in 1912. She had a daughter, Eunice Elizabeth (1901 - 1992), from her first marriage. My G. Grandmother and her brother, Thomas Smith (1907 - 1984), appear to have been born out of wedlock. I have no baptism records. Eunice Martha Banks's mother was Emma Mary Ann Sharman (about 1856), and her father was John William Banks (about 1855).

I am unable to find any birth/baptism records for Emma Mary Ann Sharman (or variations). I have records for her Marriage to John William Banks, and her listed in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. I am also struggling with birth/baptism records for John William - once again, I only have documentation from their marriage onwards. Aside from Eunice Martha, they also had Grace Emma (about 1871), Harriet Jane (about 1880), and William (1882). I have baptism records for all 4 children; the 3 girls were baptised on the same day, which is unusual. I believe Grace Emma went to live with her Grandfather, also William (1891 Census). I am not sure what happened to Harriet Jane or William (no death, marriage, or continuing census records)

Any information on Emma Mary Ann Sharman and the Banks Family would be appreciated.

Lastly - although I appreciate this is a long shot! - I am searching for information on Thomas William Smith before the birth of Ellen Violet (listed as Duffield in BMD, awaiting birth certificate). We believe he may have had a first wife, perhaps called Elizabeth (Eliz, Eliza, Lizzie - no proof of this, just family chat). The first residence I have for him is with Eunice M, Eunice E, Ellen and Thomas in 1911 in Little Europa, Battersea. He later went on to run a shop as a 'General Dealer', 'T. Smith/T. Smith and Son' at 55 Bridge Road West, Battersea. The business is listed in the 1926 Kelly's Directory, although we know it was there for some time before.

Any help, advise, or information would be fantastic - I am itching to find out more about my family!

If needs be, I have a full list of all known addresses for all families.

Thankyou for reading,

Alice.

Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amy Lucy Bradley and Emma Mary Ann Sharman - Battersea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Alice and welcome :)

I'm sure Rootschatters wil be keen to help you progress.

My first question: do you have the marriage certificate for Emma Mary Ann SHARMAN and John William BANKS (you say you have a "record" of this).  If so, what details are given for their respective fathers, and who were the witnesses?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
I am unable to find any birth/baptism records for Emma Mary Ann Sharman (or variations).   

Have you ruled out this one from FreeBMD?:

Birth, Mar qtr 1856

Emma Mary Ann SHARMAN

Lambeth 1d 250
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
I see that the SHARMAN/BANKS marriage took place on 19 July 1874 at St Mary Lambeth; his father was William BANKS, a stonemason, and hers was William SHARMAN, a bricklayer.  Witnesses Ed POWELL and Ann MILES.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
You may want to look in the 1871 census at RG10/117/66/28 for a possible Emma SHARMAN (15 b Lambeth) living at 6 Kensington Place, Westminster* with a father called William. (She even has a sister named Eunice :)).

*NB This address is very close to that for Emma and John William BANKS in 1881, which was 16 Kensington Place.

Offline aliceaevdb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thankyou for such quick replies! I have just realised I have probably posted this in the wrong forum - sorry :S

Hi Anna - I do have a marriage record for Emma Mary Ann Sharman and John William Banks, however it is simply a list from a book titled 'Banns Published 28th June and 5th and 12th July 1874'  from St Mary at Lambeth. I have been unable to find the full certificate with fathers names etc.

AVM 228 - Apologies - suffering from research overload! Yes I do have that listing, but no baptism record - so no details of parents. I know I could just order the birth certificate, but this has already become such an expensive (but worthwhile!) hobby! At £23 per go, I have already spent far too much when you add on subscriptions! As I was writing this, I have just seen your newest post - I have no idea why that record did not come up! Thank you so much, I have been searching without luck for a long time! And again, thank you for the census tip - this was one I had 'shoeboxed' but had not got round to looking at!

Once again, a massive thank you! I can see that this will be another late night!  ::)

Alice
Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
At £23 per go, I have already spent far too much when you add on subscriptions!

Please tell me you are not spending £23 per certificate (eek!)  :o

They are available to be ordered online from the GRO at £9.25 per certificate including P&P.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Offline aliceaevdb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Oh dear. Yes, I have been... and - perhaps because I dived straight in to the 'easy' family tree research option - I had no idea that you could order direct! I feel like I should have undertaken some research on how to actually research before diving in headfirst! I am so glad there is a cheaper option - would love to get as many certificates as possible and pop them in a book for my family!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:47 BST (UK) »

Hi Anna - I do have a marriage record for Emma Mary Ann Sharman and John William Banks, however it is simply a list from a book titled 'Banns Published 28th June and 5th and 12th July 1874'  from St Mary at Lambeth. I have been unable to find the full certificate with fathers names etc.

If you've found the banns entry through an Ancestry subscription (I don't know whether you have or not - perhaps you found it another way) you should be able to view the full marriage entry in the parish register by the same means.