Author Topic: Ambrose EYLES - Collingwood  (Read 7313 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose EYLES - Collingwood
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 May 11 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I wonder if there's any sightings in any of the NSW Indexes ..... The colony of Victoria had not yet separated from NSW colony when Ambrose likely arrived (1849) or likely died (1850)

I will have a good look through various online sites and be back shortly.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 May 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
In the mean time ...

Seems there were problems for the passengers on the John Munn .....
.....Ambrose and wife, Elizabeth Croome Ruddle, arrived on the John Munn September 1849. Departed from London and Pymouth and arrived Adelaide.......

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50245120 3 October 1849  Sth Australian Register
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50247680 10 October 1849 same paper

Cheers,  JM (so into Adelaide, perhaps there's not much to be found in NSW archives, but I will keep looking)

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 May 11 08:03 BST (UK) »
Confirming Ambrose arrival on the John Munn (named as a signature, also noticed there's a Miss Eyles too)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50247682 10 October 1849  Sth Aust Register.

Re what information to expect on a burial certificate issued 1850 .... ie issued before civil registrations had commenced.  Firstly, it is not a death certificate, it is only a burial certificate.  In Victoria and in NSW and several other states of Australia, death certificates contain not just the name of the person who has died, but the known details about that person's parents, often including nee names, occupations (of the parents) and of course if the deceased was married, the details of that marriage, any other marriages, names of the children of each marriage, how long in the colonies and many other vital family history clues.

The burial certificate should give the name of the deceased, the date of burial, and the name of the cemetery, and the name and qualifications of the person conducting the service. 

As this was in Victoria, but at a time when it was still in NSW, the Rev'd ought (but often overlooked doing) to have sent a quarterly return to the NSW Chaplain for the C of E (regardless of the denomination for that Rev'd).  Thus there ought (but often is not) to be an NSW Early Church Record on the NSW BDM online index. 

Now, the NSW BDM online index is not always accurate, and even if the quarterly return did come from Collingwood to Sydney, then while it would have been recorded in parish records in Sydney, that does not mean that the NSW BDM received any notification (in another quarterly return, this time from that Sydney parish) of that burial.  And, those Early Church Records (they start with "V" on the online index), were not reconciled when the NSW BDM did get all the ECR records back towards the late 19th Century.

BUT .... IF  there is any likely burial notified via the NSW Chaplain (St Phillips, C of E, Sydney), and if that could be found at the NSWW BDM online index, then it may well help .... because ...

There may be what is often overlooked ..... a family sheet .... in the local parish back at Collingwood, and it may have been duplicated in Sydney  ;D  and that may have been filmed several decades ago .... and the film may be lodged in several States Public Libraries ..    IN WHICH CASE .... the State Libraries are usually very co-operative and helpful.

Fingers crossed that this long post makes sense ....

Cheers,  JM  Hope the spelling is OK, have not done a spell check, jerky screen.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 May 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re your Ambrose,

Have you checked the d.c. for an Ambrose EYLES, 4th Qtr 1841 registration at Melksham, Wiltshire Vol 8 pg 239

There is christening entry in 1823 for an Ambrose Eyles in Melksham Wiltshire whose parents were John & Fanny
...Freebmd has an 1848 marriage in Devon of an Ambrose Eyles and Elizabeth Croome Ruddle

The Ambrose Eyles from Melksham is definitely mine.

I am hoping that I can connect him to that 1848 marriage and the subsequent departure to Australia. Ambrose was 27 when he died so the dates all line up. In the 1841 census an Ambrose Eyles was living in Devon and training to be a druggist. Elizabeth Ruddle was a Female Servant in the same house ....Ambrose and wife, Elizabeth Croome Ruddle, arrived on the John Munn September 1849. Departed from London and Pymouth and arrived Adelaide. According to an Ancestry Tree the daughter was born in 1850 in Australia

Possibly several chaps named Ambrose Eyles in England in the 1820's, 30's, 40's ....

Cheers,  JM

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 May 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks so much for your contributions. I really appreciate all your effort in helping me with my quest. I shall put the marriage query onto the Devonshire Board and see if I get lucky

Again, thank you very much

Robyn               

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
According to a tree on A*****
Ambrose EYLES b 1823 Wiltshire County England.
Son of :
John EYELS b 1797 d 1840 Melksham Wilthshire and Fanny THOMSON b 1979 d before 1841 they married 27.5.1818
Their children: { all born Melksham Wiltshire}
1. Frances b 1819
2. Jane b 1820 d 18.11.1903 Nelson NZ
3. Martha b 1822 d 1856 Chippenham Wiltshire
4. Ambrose b 1823 d 1850 Collingwood
5. Mary b 1825
6. Ann b1826

Jane was married first to Joseph MOORE in 1842 they had 1 son Ambrose Eyels MOORE who died in NZ in 1903.
Jane married again to John GULLY 22.7.1846 at Melksham . They had 6 children the first 3 in England and the second 3 in NZ having emigrated there in 1851.

Regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Probably my tree.

I descend from Jane Eyles and John Gully. Martha Eyles' husband and children also came to NZ after her death.

Trying to find out if the aussie Ambrose Eyles is their brother

Regards
Robyn

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
Well,
When you say it is "your tree, do you mean you are the author?

Whoever is the author should not be saying ........

Ambrose b 1823 d 1850 Collingwood

unless they know this is the certified case.

Does this author have information we have not been able to locate, or is it the common case of "circumstances and factors  suggest......." ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

You're right but it will be me - Grant Family...

I'm just entering stuff to see if I get hits while I'm working on this part of my tree - a work in progress

Robyn