Author Topic: Ambrose EYLES - Collingwood  (Read 7314 times)

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose EYLES - Collingwood
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 29 May 11 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi to JM

Can't transcribe death record as I don't have it but ...

Jane Eyles (1823 Ambrose' sister) is my ancestor. She is found living with her maiden aunt Ann and her widowed uncle Ambrose in 1841. No one knows exactly when her parents died although there is a death record for a John Eyles in 1840. Her mother, Fanny must have died prior to 1837 as I can't find anything yet.

Jane married John Gully and they subsequently moved to NZ.

John Gully was a notable colonial watercolour artist in NZ and there are publications on him. One, done by a descendant, included the pointers to Jane living with Ambrose and Ann in 1841 however because of a transcription issue it has taken me ages to find the record. It was only then that I could even confirm that they were relations on her paternal side. The same author also reported that Ambrose died in 1841 and that Ann died the following year leaving everything in trust to be administered one-fourth for the benefit of her neice Jane. Clearly this relative has done quite a bit of thorough investigating.

So Ambrose Eyles who died in 1841 is Ambrose Eyles, born 1823, uncle.

It may very well be useful for me to get hold of a copy of the will as it may mention Ambrose, his occupation and whereabouts. Not sure how to go about getting of a UK will

Robyn

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 29 May 11 03:28 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Have you access to the "Home Counties" 19thC newspapers .... perhaps looking for Ambrose 1841, marriage 1848, emigration 1849, birth at Adelaide of likely daughter, death at Collingwood etc, remarriage of his wife, etc

Have you tried the NZ digitised newspapers http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Here is a link to the National Archives of the UK http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 29 May 11 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

Thanks for that.

I found the will and am just going to try and transcribe ye olde englishe but Ambrose does get a mention.

Ambrose was also a witness at his sister Jane's 1846 marriage to John Gully. My gut feeling is that he will be the one who married Elizabeth Ruddle. Just need some proof

Robyn

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 29 May 11 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

Thanks for that.

I found the will and am just going to try and transcribe ye olde englishe but Ambrose does get a mention.

Ambrose was also a witness at his sister Jane's 1846 marriage to John Gully. My gut feeling is that he will be the one who married Elizabeth Ruddle. Just need some proof

Robyn

Fingers crossed,  this link is an updated and good resource for extracted parish records (updated from the IGI and etc)  https://www.familysearch.org/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 June 11 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi to all those interested

Have received the marriage certificate and I am certain that it is my Ambrose who married Elizabeth. The father and father's occupation is correct

Many thanks for information supplied which I can now use with confidence

Robyn

Offline William Smith1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 24 June 21 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn,
I am looking for relatives of Ambrose Eyles 1774-1841 or William Eyles 1774-1856.
I have inherited a pair of duelling pistols. The inscription on the box indicated that Ambrose gave them to William. I am curious about the link to my family on my grandfathers side.
Regards William Smith