Author Topic: Lookup for Boston  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Figgy16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup for Boston
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Cousin from across the pond, I have reached a bit of a stumbling block and I wondered if anyone could help me with a look-up.  My relatives emigrated to Boston in 1912, they took with them my Grandmother's sister Eveline Williams who was 12 years of age (born in December 1899) She had tuberculosis and her mother made the heartbreaking decision to let her emigrate to America with her Aunts and Uncles where she had a chance of survival in the cleaner air, knowing that she would never see her ever again.  The story was that Eveline didn't survive the journey - but I had proof from the passenger lists that she did - but from her arrival the trail seems to go cold.  If anyone could find out what happened to this little girl, maybe from naturalisation records or death records, I would be extremely grateful.  She gave her new address as her Aunt Elizabeth Jackson's home in Masachusetts.  The strange thing is I am in touch with the grandaughter of the Aunt and Uncle she travelled with (Albert and Lizzie Williams) and although they told her lots about their life in Lancashire, they never once mentioned little Eveline.  What happened to this little girl?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for Boston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Passenger list would have been compiled before the ship would have left England- do you actually have proof that she arrived in America?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
There is something called a "Book Index" for Boston passengers.  It looks like it was compiled in the states.

"Department of Commerce and Labor" Immigration Service
Page 372: S.S. Cymric, from Liverpool (27th Aug, 1912) arrived Boston (5 September 1912).

Page 415: Eveline Williams, age 11 years and 1 month, "where booked to" Boston, Mass.

On the original passenger list she was stated as 11 years 3 months. Are you sure she was born in December 1899?  ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
If your Eveline did sail in 1912, she most likely hid her illness, as she is recorded as "good" under the "Condition of health, mental and physical" column.  (Illness hidden, so she could gain entry to the states?)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Figgy16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you lovely people

In response to aghadowey - the proof I have that Eveline arrived is from the Passenger List Arrivals.

Lisa in California, I'm not 100% sure she was born in 1899, so the 11 year and 1 month on the passenger list could be correct and yes, Lisa, knowing what I know her illness must have been hidden as it was a total surprise to me to find that not only had she not died on the journey but she was recorded as arriving in good health. 

Eveline's sister (my Grandmother) died believing her sister never made it to America.

If anyone does find out what happened to little Eveline, I would be most grateful.

Thank you once again....

Offline Figgy16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
I have a confirmed birth date for little Eveline 31 Mar 1901

Offline Oranges

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi this is a slim chance but I notice your talking about Boston, my great aunt emigrated to Boston from Glasgow with her six children they arrived in 1910 her name was Mary Drummond ( nee O'Donnell) her husband was Alex, maybe it's possible she has grandchildren etc still alive and could help in my search on O'Donnell family.

Thanks
Oranges

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »

1920 census Lefevere Street Boston Ward 24, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

Alexander Drummond   46
Mary Drummond   46 born Scotland. Imm 1911.
Katherine Drummond   21 Annie Drummond   20
Margaret Drummond   18 Mary Drummond   16
Alexandria Drummond 13 John Drummond   11
Agnes Drummond   8 Dorothy Drummond   3

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 19:37 GMT (UK) »

1930 census Robbine Street Milton Norfolk Massachusetts

Alexander Drummond   57 Mary Mcd Drummond   57
Alexandria Drummond 25 John Drummond   21
Agnes Drummond   18 Dorothy Drummond 13
Margaret Boustad   28 widowed daughter.
Clare Boustad   7 grand-daughter

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada