Author Topic: Offer: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674  (Read 33323 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Offer: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 01:43 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of Nottinghamshire Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674, which includes transcriptions of most of the known Notts Hearth Tax returns for those years. It covers the whole county, and most parishes are included at least to some extent.

If you have traced any ancestors back to that period, I am more than happy to lookup their name (there is a surname index). Or if you are interested in a whole parish, it would not be difficult to supply the details of a parish.

Generally most entries include the names of the householder, and the number of hearths they were charged for (or in the case of poor people, the number not charged for).

Please send me a PM if you want a lookup (or post on the Notts lookups board).

Offline kitching

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husbands ancestors come Nottingham the name is Joynes, i have traced them back to1680s, A Richard Gines wed a Elizabeth Pratt 26th June 1688 St Peters, i believe he was a chandler Burgess, would he be on the Hearth Tax.

Val

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
I have lost my wife's ancestors a little later on in the East Markham/High Marnham areas; surname Stockdale. Thanks in anticipation.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husbands ancestors come Nottingham the name is Joynes, i have traced them back to1680s, A Richard Gines wed a Elizabeth Pratt 26th June 1688 St Peters, i believe he was a chandler Burgess, would he be on the Hearth Tax.

Val

Hi Val,

I've searched through all the J and G surnames to no avail I'm afraid. No-one that looks like Joynes or Gines - closest name is Jones, but no Richard there. As a last resort I went through the Nottingham pages, but still nothing. Perhaps he wasn't old enough by 1674.

There are a number of Pratt's recorded, however - would you like me to send you those?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
I have lost my wife's ancestors a little later on in the East Markham/High Marnham areas; surname Stockdale. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Redroger,

I searched through East Markham and Marnham areas, but no Stockdales. However, I did find only three in the whole county, so thought I'd post them just in case. Sadly not quite the areas you were searching...but there may be a connection.

BOLE                         Hearths    Charged
Christopher Stockdall........i..............ij s

WORKSOP
Widow Stockdale.............3..............vj s

ADBOLTON
Richard Stockdale............1.............Discharged by Certificate

Fingers crossed that there's something useful for you here. If you have any other names, just let me know.

Alexander

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 11 13:15 BST (UK) »
The one at Bole looks promsing, not far from Markham, Worksop isn't that far either. Thanks very much. Any trace of Weselby please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 11 02:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry, nothing for Weselby, though there is Wesby, Welby and Westby entries which could possibly be related, depending how the name was said.

Alexander

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I shall now follow up the entries from Bole and Worksop. (That's the second time I have corrected that word from Workshop!)Freudian I think.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 September 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Could you please look if there are any Ancliff, Antcliff, Antliff with or without a final E in  East Markham. Many thanks in advance.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley