Author Topic: Offer: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674  (Read 33477 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 14 July 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
The missing Thurmans are probably as important as the ones mentioned as I am trying to identify family links.
Is it possible to see whether the Wysall returns are complete and therefore the Edward I have in Wysall is actually the Edward from Thorpe by Wysall, as I suspect?

Equally is it possible to see if the Barton in Fabis and Thrumpton returns are complete and therefore the Thurmans that lived there have moved on?

The Wysall, Barton in Fabis, and Thrumpton returns are complete and legible for the year 1674. I checked again to make sure I did not miss any Thurmans, but Edward Thorman is the only one recorded for those villages.

For the 1664 returns, none of these three places has any surviving returns, except a small fragment which may be Thrumpton.

At that time, Thorpe-in-the-Glebe was (and remains) a very tiny place. On the 1674 hearth tax returns there were only two houses recorded for Thorpe: Edward Thorman (1 hearth) and Mr Henry Benbridge (4 hearths). From the PRs and hearth tax returns, I think you can be quite confident that there was only one adult Edward Thurman in the parish of Wysall at that time, and that he lived at Thorpe in the 1660s and 1670s.

You probably have seen this already but just in case you haven't...
An administration bond and inventory for Edward Thurman (d1698) is at the Notts Archives - should be worth a look.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vbp/

Alexander

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 14 July 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
Once again, many thanks.

I can add the 1666 death to his tree, as well as focus in on where he lived.

Yes, I have a pretty full transcript of Edward's bond, with a lot of help from the Notts Archives staff. He was a farmer and left a reasonable legacy to his son, John. The bond says he was from Wysall so I am assuming that he lived on the Wysall side of Thorpe, they're only a mile apart, rather than he moved before he died. John was also a farmer and lived in East Leake.

I am sorry, but one last thing. Are the returns complete for Tollerton?

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 15 July 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, the 1674 returns are complete for Tollerton, but there are no Thurmans. Nothing survives from 1664.

As for the Wysall vs Thorpe problem, on the information we have I don't think we can determine which one he lived in when he died. He may have moved back into the village of Wysall between the 1670s and 1690s.

To understand more about the land where people lived and worked, you may want to search for deeds, manorial records, etc. I don't know what is available for Wysall and Thorpe specifically but I know many documents of this type are held at the University of Nottingham. It might be worth contacting them to find out what they hold.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/researchguidance/manorial/introduction.aspx

Alexander

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 15 July 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Alexander.

The indication from the will is he still had the farm when he died.
I have had a look at the Notts Univ. site in the past and judged that my time was better spent at Notts Archives ( it is a 4 hour round trip). Now that the manorial records are of more interest I will review that decision.

I had another look at the Notts Archives on-line catalogue, using the link you provided. I noticed that on the later records for Wysall that there are records for a farm whose location is Wysall/Thorpe. The two places are around a mile apart so if he had a reasonable holding his farm would straddle the border between the two parishes.

I am trying to reinforce a perceived link in my tree between the later family in Tollerton and Edward, as well as trying to find out where Edward came from. I am hoping that by fixing the local Thurman families in the landscape I can get a better picture. To this end just knowing that Edward of Wysall and Edward from Thorpe are the same person is a good result.
It would be interesting to know exactly where his farm was but, for the moment, I will leave it on record.

Thanks once again for your help.
I have good access to Warwickshire records so if you ever need anything from there post on this thread and I will go and look it up, though most of their records are on line.

Bob

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 15 July 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
Alexander, is it  possible that you could have a look at Rampton for me and see if there are any Carr(e) or Jackson mentioned.Many thanks in advance. Mr Jackson goes by the wonderful name of Original and Mr Carre by XPFER ( Christopher)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 15 July 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Larkspur,

1664 RAMPTON
Originall Jackson, 1 hearth (2 shillings)

RAMPTON
Ger: Jackson, 2 hearths
Eliz: Jackson, 2 hearths
Orig: Jackson, 2 hearths

No Carrs I'm afraid. There is also no Christopher Carr recorded (in any parish).

Alexander

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 15 July 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
Wonderful, many thanks Alexander.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline landrover110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Offer: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 02 November 13 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am interested in Notts Hearth Tax records to see if there is anything entered for Haggonfields (Hagginfields) (Haggon fields) in particlar Haggonfields Farm hope you help me regards landrover110

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Offer: Notts Hearth Tax 1664 : 1674
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi landrover110,

I apologise for not replying to your message sooner, I have not been on RootsChat for some time.

I cannot see anything in the Hearth Tax returns for Haggonfields specifically - I suspect people who lived there are included in the return for Worksop or Shireoaks. If there is a surname you are looking for, I could check for that, or I could send you the list for the whole of Worksop. Let me know what would be most helpful.

Regards
Alexander