Author Topic: FERGUSON in Wigtownshire  (Read 4206 times)

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FERGUSON in Wigtownshire
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 02:48 BST (UK) »
My John and Susanna Millar Ferguson had 5 sons who emigrated to America (New Jersey, then Indiana, Illinois, Kansas) George Washington, William, Thomas Millar, John Hill, James W. Ferguson all lived in Illinois at one time. Two served in the Civil War.

The parents and at least 4 siblings stayed in Wigtonshire. Letitia m. John Flemming and had at least 7 children there. Mary Ann may have married John Nelson. Don't know what happened to Joseph b. abt 1835. Andrew was a single grocer in Newton-Stewart and died there in 1887.

The father John b. Ireland was a crofter and died bet. 1871-1873. Mother Susannah (Shusan in the census) b. 1798 in Barr, Ayrshire, died 1873 in Newton-Stewart. Three other children did not survive (not in census).
FERGUSON, MILLER (MILLAR), FLEMMING, NELSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FERGUSON in Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 03:04 BST (UK) »
Are you looking for some specific information about the family, or just hoping to make contact with descendants?

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 20:03 BST (UK) »
Both actually. I would love to make contact with other descendants. I have lots of info after the 5 sons arrive in the US but my information in Scotland is limited to census, a daughter's marriage and 6 children's births, the death of mother Susannah in 1873 and son Andrew's death in 1887.

Two sons stayed in Scotland and I can't find info on Joseph b. abt 1835 Penn., Wig. Last known address was Clary Moss, Wigtownshire listing John, Shwan (Susan), Andrew, Joseph, Maryan Ferguson, and Elizabeth Flemming, 6, granddaughter. Joseph was single with parents in 1861.

I am hoping to find the death record of John Ferguson (father) bet. 1871-1873 in Wigtonshire or Penninghame areas. Last know address was Edder Hall, Penninghame Dist., Penn. Civil Parish, Wigtownshire County has John 73 and Susan 73.  Thanks, cm

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
I just discovered an exciting answer to the above questions. A memorial inscription in Penninghame Parish has a stone with this inscribed:

Erected by John Ferguson late crofter in *Baltersan* in memory of Susan Millar his wife who died on the 1st March 1873 aged 76 years

Also his son Joseph who died on the 13th Sept 1861 aged 26 years

Also his son William who died in Illinois, North America on the 26th Oct 1862 aged 36 years

Also the above John Ferguson who died 20th February 1879 aged 83 years

Also of his son Andrew Ferguson who died at #Newton Stewart# the 19th June 1887 aged 53 years

Also of Helen Gordon wife of the above Andrew Ferguson who died at #Newton Stewart# 3rd Decr 1893 aged 60 years

“Birchman Transcripts” typed by Lynda Chapple circa 1980

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 02:22 BST (UK) »
That's a great find burklegs.

(I'm sorry I missed your previous reply somehow ...  :-\)