Author Topic: Bute Arms-Pontlottyn  (Read 11349 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Bute Arms-Pontlottyn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 July 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Richards74
Yes, Mary Brewer was my mother's aunt, she married a Perry

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 July 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Morgan
Many thanks for the details and your help is much appreciated.

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Gerald D

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 March 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I wonder do we have any members from Pontlottyn?  I am looking for information on a public house namely the Bute Arms which I am led to believe was in Bute Terrace, Pontlottyn in the 1890s. 

Any info would be appreciated

Regards, Roy
I wonder do we have any members from Pontlottyn?  I am looking for information on a public house namely the Bute Arms which I am led to believe was in Bute Terrace, Pontlottyn in the 1890s. 

Any info would be appreciated

Regards, Roy
Hi Roy
I used to live at 8 Bute terrace up until it was knocked down when we moved from there in 1957.  And if you have got any photos of Bute Terrace i would like to see them Because i haven't got any and i am looking for some.
Gerald d

Offline Deheuwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 June 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Avril
My mother's maiden name was Brewer and they were Rhymney and Pontlottyn folk; ever heard of them?

Hi Roy. Not sure how to navigate this site yet but I’m just replying to the above post re the Brewers from Rhymney. My grandfather and his father were Brewers from Rhymney. My great grandfather’s name was Thomas and he was one of 11 children. He had sisters named Leah, Blodwen, Mary Ann, Barbara and Sarah. Do the names ring any bells with you?

Regards, Roy

Offline Deheuwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 June 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy. Not sure how to navigate this site yet but I’m just replying to the above post re the Brewers from Rhymney. My grandfather and his father were Brewers from Rhymney. My great grandfather’s name was Thomas and he was one of 11 children. He had sisters named Leah, Blodwen, Mary Ann, Barbara and Sarah. Do the names ring any bells with you?

Thanks,

Dai

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Avril
Pleased to hear from you; all the names are familiar. My late mother Eileen Brewer was a daughter of Sylvanus and Margaret Brewer who lived at Pontlottyn and then Brithdir.  I have researched the family and we share the same ancestors.  Look forward to further correspondence.

Regards Roy

Offline Deheuwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 June 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy thanks for the update. I remember my grandfather Jim talking about Uncle Syl from Brithdir. Jim and your mother would have been first cousins. I remember Barbara and Sarah well. I used to visit them in Harcourt Place, Rhymney with my grandpa ... they always spoke Welsh to other without fail. Their brother Emlyn lived a few hundred yards away too. I am still in touch with my cousin Rachel as well ... her great grandmother was Mary Ann Brewer. Also met a Mark Brewer from Tredegar a few weeks ago ... he said his family were from Brithdir. I remember his father John who used to drive our school bus years ago. I imagine that most of you are Syl’s descendants in and around Brithdir. If there is any information you think I can help with let me know. Sorry about the long post!!

Regards,

Dai (Brewer).

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 June 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dai; don't know where Avril came from, sorry about that.  My mother often mentioned her cousin Jim (Councillor) Brewer when reminiscing about her childhood.  She was about 10 years old when the family relocated to Brithdir.  As a young child my mother often went to Pontlottyn to visit her aunty. I never knew my grandfather Sylvanus, he died before I was born.  I was raised in Wellington Terrace with my grandmother and had a very happy childhood being the youngest of the household. 

Roy

Offline Deheuwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy. I hadn’t realised that they had lived in Pontlottyn initially. It sounds as if your grandfather was quite young when he died ... by today’s standards at least. I did some research with my dad into Tom and Syl’s parents a few years back. You may already be aware but Edwin Brewer was their father who married Elizabeth Williams. Her father was Edward Williams (one of your great great grandfathers). I found his gravestone a couple of years ago in the old churchyard of Rhymney Church. I’m not sure where Edwin and his wife are buried. I know the Brewers (from the second generation on) were all Welsh speaking chapel people who attended Capel Seion in Carno Street, Rhymney. I have a feeling that the earlier burials were at the Graig cemetery at Rhymney Bridge. My grandpa Jim was a keen photographer and a hoarder of family memorabilia. My dad has dozens of boxes of photographs in his attic which have not been sorted through since he died in in 1993. Doubtless there will be photographs of our ancestors including Tom, Syl and their siblings. When I get a chance to rifle through them over the summer I’ll let you know what I find.

Regards,

Dai