Author Topic: French blazon  (Read 4727 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
French blazon
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
Is anyone familiar with French heraldry?

I'm trying to work out the French description of the arms of the chemist August Kekulé:

In Rot drei in Form eines Schächerkreuzes zusammengefügte, von drei grünen Kleeblättern gewinkelte silberne Rossflieten

Gules, three fleams joined pallwise argent; between the angles as many trefoils vert

I imagine it would start "de gueules aux trois ..." but that's where I run out of steam.  I couldn't find Rietstap's Armorial Général on line.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
Re: French blazon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 12 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello
I expect you've already found out the necessary - but surely this is German and not French? If it's French then it's possibly from Alsace. If you're still pondering, my work colleague is from Austria and might be able to help. Let me know
Bon dimanche
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
Brenda,

I expressed myself badly.  In spite of the way he spelled his name, Kekulé was German and the blazon as given comes from a German source.  I managed to translate that into English, but for some reason I wanted a French version.

The need has long since passed, so please don't trouble any friends or colleagues.

Je te remercie quand męme.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
I imagine it would start "de gueules aux trois ..." but that's where I run out of steam.  I couldn't find Rietstap's Armorial Général on line.

I expect that Rietstap's wouldn't have helped; according to the website Euraldic.com, which has uploaded all of the blazons from Rietstap, there is no entry for Kekulé.  (See the specific page at http://euraldic.com/aarm_ke.html)

David

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 12 06:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, David.

Useful to know that Rietstap is available on the tangled web.
I didn't check your own punning arms, though.

____ Hugh

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  It took a while to think about it and research them, but I designed them myself.  (And then I was forced, _forced_ I say, to adopt them by one of the Irish heralds.  I still have the marks of the trauma from the arm twisting.  Well, okay, I don't, but Michael O'Cowan of the Chief Herald's office wanted me to give them a blazon of my arms for the roll of arms they were going to do for the 2002 International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Dublin that year, and when I told him that I wasn't armigerous, he replied that I was an American and I could adopt some.  I'd been thinking about this design for some time, and had done enough research that I believed that they did not (and still do not) infringe on anyone else's arms.  So these have been my arms since then.)

David

Offline brunobm01

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 October 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
You can find Rietstap's armorial on line in :

http://www.heraldique-blasons-armoiries.com/armoriaux/rietstap.html

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 October 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bruno.  Could be useful. 
I appreciate that you joined Rootschat specially to tell me that,
but you should find plenty of other helpful (and knowledgeable) people here.

____ H.