Author Topic: Benjamin Lamoon  (Read 27834 times)

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Lamoon
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 May 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Leo,
Thanks for replying. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I am definitely interested in whatever information you can offer in regard to the Lamoon family!

sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 May 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
That rings a bell. I'd probably know his nickname - my guess would be Ginger?
:D

I am the grandson of William Lamoon born in Dover, who was the 6 year old in 3 Dour Cottages, Charllton, Dover in 1881. My mother, his daughter was born in Dover as was I.

William can be seen again in the 1901 census on HMS Tamar, the Royal Navy base in Hong Kong. ( Look on-line for a photo of the base and you will be surprised!) later my grandfather was a naval reserve, of sorts, until being called up for the first world war. He was sent to Belgium with the "Naval Divisions" i.e. they were given a rifle with 5 rounds of ammunition half a bottle of water and sent to Antwerp to repel the German invasion. They were told not to sleep on the ship across the channel or on the train to Antwerp. The German army reached Antwerp before his section got there. Several thousand of them then crossed the border into Holland and were interned for the rest of the war. Strange lack of navigational skills for a large group of sailors! ( Other wise I would not have been born!)

I believe that William's father Joseph had two brothers, Martin, who married a Dover girl and founded the Deptford, London branch of the family and Henry, who served in the army in Corfu and South Africa before  settling in Bristol forming that branch of the family.

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 May 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for replying. It was beyond awesome to read your information!
All the history gives me goosebumps; hearing from distant family members is intriguing and the reason why I love toiling through genealogy!

I'd like to know more about the LaMoon side of the family, if you can? I've been trying to trace further back on that side and have run into a few brick walls that are difficult to break down because I'm in the US and can't go to the places that aren't online yet.

Again, thank you for posting and I look forward to talking more,

Sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 May 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
Adding another bit to my previous message ( I do hope you come back around );

My relation is Martin who married the Dover girl.

Look forward to chatting again,

sara

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 May 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
These appear to be the naval service records of sons born to Joseph and Susanna.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=last_name%3dlamoon&catid=15&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*&sortspec=first%5Fdate+asc

William served during WW1 receiving the 1914 Star and 'Mons' bar, which is certainly unusual to the navy.

On your original enquiry, have you looked at the pay to view site Find my Past, because they list a military service record for a Benj Lamoon, born Galway 1797, and also one for Martin; just enter the surname, and then press search:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/army-service-records-search.action

Martin

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 May 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

What else can I tell you? I started researching my family history a few years ago and as a result have made contact with close relatives in Scotland but from my father's side of my family. i.e. not the Lamoons. I do have a living cousin who is a school teacher near Dover, Kent but we are not in contact.
Both of my family names go back to Ireland and that is where things get difficult record wise.
The two sailors records of the sons of Joseph and Sussanah are my family. William is the same one who was my grand-father. ( Unfortunately, although I met him when I was very young, I cannot remember him, I remember only where he lived and that he had a garden with vegetables and chickens in!!)
Sussanah has an interesting history that I have been unable to explore fully but her father, as someone here has found out, a Henry Ladd, was born in Ostend in Belgium. He was British though so maybe his father was a sailor who sailed from Dover to Ostend ( they are both ports on the English Channel) or maybe he worked in Ostend. Either way, Henry's mother's name was Margaritte. Now that is NOT a British name!
 So it looks like Henry's mother was Belgian. This is the part of the world known as Flanders. It is the Low Countries consisting of part of the Netherlands, Belgium and northern France.

Here's the punch-line to that one.

Group A negative blood has been found to come from Flanders. This was proven by a team from Oxford University some years ago. The number of people in Britain with A negative blood is highest in Kent, by the channel  ports and gradually fades away as you move inland. The university found two  abnormal pockets of high incidence of A negative blood in Britain, one in Cornwall in the south west of Britain and one in Tenby in South Wales. Both are far from Kent.
The researchers went first to Cornwall to find out why this pocket of this blood group existed. They found themselves in a small port where they noticed some of the streets and houses had French names. After some inquiries they found that a French ship had run aground nearby during one of the many wars that England had with France. At the time the militia were send to find the French survivors but couldn’t find any as the local people were hiding them. Subsequently there were babies born with A negative blood.
The team then went to Tenby and with some confidence, went looking at street and house names, yup! Same story!
As you may have guessed  I have A negative blood too!
Another thing about poor Henry Ladd. He died in the work-house in Dover. The work house is where poor people where made to live in appalling conditions. At the time it was also where Old Aged people were sent. There was no pension for them! The work house or “Union” was in a part of Dover named then “Union Road” ( Now Coombe Valley Road – renamed because of the original meaning) this area is known as Buckland. You will see it in some of the census addresses’ along with Charlton)
The “Union” building was made into Buckland Hospital and I remember my Mother being frightened of ever being sent there. To her generation it was still a “workhouse.”
I have not been researching my family now for some time but you have all given me new leads. I have now seen my great grandfather’s baptism record and found that maybe the Bristol side of the Lamoon family were all soldiers and some of them were in the Royal Hospital at Chelsea. I will look into this and get back.
By the way google “Lamoons”  in South Gloucestershire, Avon  and  Bristol and you may be able to contact living relatives. Beware though one lady I contacted in the area turned out to be from the London, Deptford side of the family. People move around more these days!!

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 May 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
A question, Avance0306.

I have always believed that Martin, Henry & Joseph were all sons of Joseph Lamoon. Have you got a link to where Benjamin fits in?

Another few snippets of local information for you.

Here's where the Chelsea Pensioners live, as the name suggests it is in the London Borough of.......Chelsea. The "hospital" is a home for old soldiers who have completed at least 21 years regular service. They wear a bright red tunic and tri-corn hat for "Best Dress" and a black uniform with black cap for "Walking-out Dress". Sometimes you may see them on TV watching the tennis at Wimbledon in their red tunics. ( They get free tickets to many events!) On the following web-site you can see some of the pensioners inside a pyramid feature at the Chelsea Flower Show.

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/

The annual Chelsea Flower Show, by chance, is on every day this week. It is located in part of the grounds of The Chelsea Hospital. The old boys, obviously, get in free here as well!

http://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs-chelsea-flower-show/2012

If you ever visit London you can go inside The Chelsea Royal Hospital grounds. The old boys like to chat to visitors and there is a museum open to the public. I do not know if the hospital keeps old records. I expect that they have all been transferred to the National Archive in Kew, just outside of London.

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 May 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Terry,

Benjamin was the father of Joseph Lamoon, Martin Lamoon and Henry Lamoon.

I've slowly made my way to the 1700's for the Lamoons - and it has not been an easy road. Ireland has been difficult to get information from but Benjamin married Bridget in Ireland, the boys were born there and they all came to England.
I am still working on the connections.
I've also got George Lamoon as Benjamin's father but like I said - I'm still working on those connections.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge! I find it facinating to learn of family's experiences and such - I didn't get into genealogy until my mom passed away in Jan 2011 which is sad because I would have LOVED to have learned more about my grandfather while he was alive, etc.

Anyways, please keep in touch as I'm sure we can fill in some spots together..

=)
Sara

Edited to correct family line...

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 May 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
But I downloaded a file yesterday (from one of two sites but I don't which one!) the register of Baptisms for the parish of Tralee & Ratass (I don't know if Ratass has the same connotation in the US...but it could be fitting.) for 1842 showing Joseph Lamoon being baptised on the 16th of December.

His parents are stated as being Joseph and Mary. Joseph ,elder, has his trade or profession described as (Sergt.) which is the old abbreviation for "Sergeant."
I thought that this Joseph (the younger one in this document) was the one who went to Dover.