Author Topic: Sylvester McCabe  (Read 5463 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sylvester McCabe
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My ancestor Patrick McCabe and his wife Alice McClusky married in Darlington, County Durham, England in October 1861; I know nothing of them before this other than Patrick McCabe was born c. 1839 and Alice McClusky was born c. 1841 both in County Monaghan, Ireland (1891 English Census).

Patrick was the son of Sylvester McCabe and I am hoping to find out more about him, as I suspect his name is quite uncommon.  Can anyone please help me find out more about this family?

I can find nothing of Sylvester in the Irish BMD indexes, and nothing really for him in the UK census.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sylvester McCabe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Both Patrick and Alice were born well before the start of Civil registration, so you will need to check for church records. You would need to know the family religon(s) and which parish(es) they lived in to search for available parish records..

The BMD Index only covers civil records... so only includes births from 1864 onward, but might include a death for Sylvester

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
There are just three deaths for the name Sylvester McCabe in the right timeframe  - all in Cavan/Monaghan. The 2nd result is actually a duplicate... so one born c1814 and the other c1769.

see : link

Since the numbers are so small it might be worth following up to see if one of these fits the details you have, and might give you a clue to you McCabe origins..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thank you for this advice; Patrick and Alice were both married in a Catholic church and both were buried in a Catholic cemetery as where their children so I would imagine this confirms their religion.

I have tried to open the link but it is not working, and I did search for a death but could not find anything.  It just brought up other names where Sylvester was a middle name.  Initally though I would go for the one born 1814.

Peter

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
The link is now working!

How do I get the death certificate?!

Peter

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
I just checked the link - it's working ok for me. Does the familysearch website normally work correctly for you ?

these are a summary of the index details :

Name: Sylvester M'Cabe
 Registration district:   Castleblayney
 Event type: Death
 Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1881
 Volume : 1 / Page : 368

Name: Silvester M'Cabe
 Registration district: Cootehill
 Event type: Death
 Registration quarter and year: 1864
 Volume : 13 / Page : 95

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
The link is now working!

How do I get the death certificate?!

Peter

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Death Cert

have a look at the note above on death certs before you order - they are not very detailed

important point to remember ... your Sylvester could possibly have died before 1864, and so would not have a death cert..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane; in my excitement I had suspected he may have died before!

What is the situation with Catholic records in Monaghan?  Perhaps I better to search these before looking for a death certificate.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Not many RC parishes include burial records - so that could be a problem.

For Marriage and baptism records you really need to know the location first i.e. parish or townland - so you can check what records are available

A small set of RC baptism records for Co. Monaghan are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation - http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Shane
My Surname Interests