Author Topic: Adoption pre-1927- any way of finding out?  (Read 11949 times)

Offline rachellaura84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption pre-1927- any way of finding out?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
:( adoption certificates apparently contain no information relating back to the original birth record :( oh no!

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

The link I have just sent to you diverts you to the GRO you can order them from there just the same as when you are ordering the BMD certificate's

Marg xx
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
:( adoption certificates apparently contain no information relating back to the original birth record :( oh no!

That is correct, unfortunately. 

In any event it sounds as though you already have the certificate in the family (or have I misunderstood you?).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

What is an adoption certificate?
An adoption certificate is a replacement birth certificate in the adopted person's new name. It can be used for all legal purposes in place of the original birth certificate.The adoption certificate will also contain legal information relating to the adoption.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A full adoption certificate shows date of birth, place and country of birth, adoptive forename and surname, gender, name and surname, address and occupation of adoptive parent(s), date of adoption order, date on which the adoption granted, and name of the court.

A short adoption certificate only shows date, place and country of birth, adoptive forename and surname, and gender. It carries no reference to adoption

This state's it will contain legal information relating to the adoption and I would assume it would state the parents name, I would contact the GRO and ask what information it contains before sending for it

Marg
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
This state's it will contain legal information relating to the adoption and I would assume it would state the parents name, I would contact the GRO and ask what information it contains before sending for it

I'm afraid the "legal information" is confined to precisely that: the bare details of the legal process by which the child was adopted (date of adoption order and court which granted it). See e.g. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Familyhistoryandresearch/Birthmarriageanddeathcertificates/DG_175654

Adoption certificates in England & Wales, whether short or full, do not give details of the birth parents.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rachellaura84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
:(

Can you contact the court for their records?

Offline Bollo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
My father was adopted in 1918 but I have the opposite problem - I want to know more about his adoption rather than about his birth family.  I have a copy of his 'real' birth certificate (he got a copy for himself in 1940 and I inherited it).  From that, I tracked down living members of his birth family (not easy, but at least I was able to do it).

But I can find NOTHING about my father's adoption - when, how, who etc.  The birth family had never heard of him (he was removed as a baby) and I don't think the widow who physically raised him (who I knew as my grandmother) ever officially adopted him.  But my father was referred to as 'my adopted son' by another unrelated man in his will in 1932 (this guy left everything to my father because he never married and had no nieces or nephews.  He died in 1944.  His only sibling, an unmarried sister, became my godmother when I was born in 1946).

What I want to know is: WHO adopted my father, if anyone.  I can find no record at all.  The fact that he was able to obtain a copy of his original birth cert when he was 22 suggests he was never legally adopted at all.  In Feb 1940 (when he was 22 and just after obtaining his birth cert) he formally (there was a notice in London Gazette 12 March 1940) combined his surnames i.e. his birth surname and the surname of the widow who raised him, stating that he had formerly been known by both.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bollo
Your summation sounds spot on, to me.
If a possible adoption was after the 1927 laws were enacted, there would be a record, surely. 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 June 11 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all

This is the scenario for most adoptions.

A child is born and the birth parent(s) register the birth of the child in its birth name. This entry makes its way into the GRO birth index. A birth cert is issued that contains the date & place of birth, childs name, parent(s) name(s) and address. If the father is shown, his occupation is shown.

The child is then adopted. An entry is made in the GRO Adopted Children Index. The adoptive family are issued with a replacement birth cert that supersedes the original birth cert for all legal purposes. This cert shows the adoptive first name which may or may not be the same as the birth name, adoptive surname, adoptive parents names, the date of adoption and the court that processed it.

The Registrar General issues an instruction the the Superintendent Registrar where the original birth entry was made and an annotation is added to the original birth entry. If you now purchase a birth cert either from the GRO or the local registrar, this annotation will appear on the right hand side.

There is no way you can link the original birth entry in the GRO birth index to that in the adopted children register unless you know both names as the GRO birth index does not make reference to the adoption.

A short form birth cert may also be issued which disguises the fact that the child has been adopted. All short form birth certs do not show the parents names. The difference with this short form cert is that the place of birth is usually but not always shown as England and there is an 8 digit ref number in the top right or bottom left corner like this XXXXX/XXX.

This 8 digit reference number also appears in the adopted children index and is the reference number required to order an adoption certificate.

The next step is one I have no knowledge of. I do not know if it is possible for a deceased persons adoptive family to make an application to the GRO for access to the adoption files. I think that if it was posiible you would need a really strong legal argument or medical reason to make that application. I don't believe family history is a strong enough reason but I could be wrong.

I suggest you phone the GRO at Southport and ask to speak to someone in the adopted childrens department and ask them to clarify their policy.

Prior to 1975 all adoptions were made on the understanding that no contact could come from children matching their birth and adoption status. The law changed and now children adopted after 18 have a right to see their files. Adoptees before 1975 have to have an interview and deal with an approved intermediary.

There is also testimony that living adopted people have tried to access their files only to be told they are missing/lost or were destroyed.

I do have access to the GRO adopted children index at the archives in London. I can check the adopted names to see what year the adoptions were made.

I believe from the previous posts that rachellaura has an adoption certificate but not the original birth cert issued at birth unless it is still in the family papers. Some people don't know what a short form birth cert looks like.  There is an image here

http://www.imfreeware.com/birth-certificate-copy-P20294.html

Hope this helps.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea