Author Topic: Wiltshire St Marys - 1871 census  (Read 8737 times)

Offline Carolyn57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire St Marys - 1871 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi MarkB

I've done quite a lot of work in reconstructing the Brinsdon families in Wiltshire and surrounding areas. Please contact me on e-mail address removed to prevent spamming.  Please use the pm facility to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you!!  if you would like me to send you the GEDCOM's I've got.

Regards

Carolyn
Wellington
New Zealand
I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment.

Brinsdon; Brinsden; Playne; Plain; Rutty; Painter; Paynter

Offline human_battery

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: RUTTY & HEDGES - Melksham
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 August 05 02:48 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the Rutty family of Melksham.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/search.htm#searchform

Enter Rutty% as surname and then submit
Click on the "2 hits" link.

These are children of Elizabeth so I'm seeking contact with Dulverton/Adrian.

C

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 August 05 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

Further to your original query, I found the James Brinsdon you mention from the 1871 census in the same place in the 1861 census, but with a different birthplace.

He's in as Brimsdon rather than Brinsdon, and indexed in Ancestry as Bremsdon, which doesn't help matters.

Unfortunately, I can't really make out the birthplace - it looks like Nelsam and has been struck thorough. If anyone can make a better stab at working it out, I'm happy to try and find him in the 1841 census, assuming he's still in Wiltshire at that point.

The reference for the 1861 entry is RG9/4007 Folio 95 Page 14 and it's in Trevithin, Monmouthshire.

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 August 05 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again Carolyn

The only other contender for James I can find in the censuses is a James Brinsden in 1891, also in Monmouthshire, bit he claims to be from Malmsbury and I don't think there's a St Mary's parish there. Funnily enough, this one doesn't seem to appear in any other censuses - different wife and family from the first one. Neither of them appear in 1881.

Nothing is easy about this game  ;D

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Rutt Rutty Ruttie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 July 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but thought I would look at it, as it's a branch of my surname and I live in Wiltshire. The family you are looking for seem to be based at CastleCombe near Corsham in Wiltshire.  I found them on 1871 and 1881 census, still in Castle Combe. Incidentally, Ruttie is another spelling of the Rutty surname and can be traced back to the 1400s in Melksham.
Hope this is helpful,
Craig 😁

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 July 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe Westport St, Mary. a village that is no more, was incorporated into Malmesbury. So not on modern maps.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RUTTY, HEDGES, WEBBER, KEEN, HARRIS, EARLE, FOOTE of SEEND, MELKSHAM, BATH
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Carolyn & Craig,
Does this help?

First Generation
1.  JOHN RUTTY was born about 1773 in Melksham, Wiltshire. On 6 Jun 1841 he was a Shoemaker in Seend, Wiltshire. On 30 Mar 1851 he was a Shoemaker in Chapel Row, Seend Street, Melksham, Wiltshire. Living with his daughter Catherine JOHN died in Sep 1860 at the age of 87 in Melksham, Wiltshire.

JOHN RUTTY and MARGARETTA or Margaret HARRIS were married in 1802. MARGARETTA or Margaret HARRIS was born in 1774. She died in Jun 1842 at the age of 68 in Melksham Registration District, Wiltshire.

JOHN RUTTY and MARGARETTA or Margaret HARRIS had the following children:

2   i.   Margaretta RUTTY was born in Oct 1803 in Seend, Wiltshire. She was baptised on 2 Oct 1803 in Holy Cross & Bulkington, Seend, Wiltshire.
   +3   ii.   ELIZABETH "Betty" RUTTY, born Nov 1805, Seend, Wiltshire; married CHARLES HEDGES, 14 May 1827, St Michael, Melksham, Wiltshire; died 13 Dec 1897, Semington Workhouse, Melksham, Wiltshire.
   4   iii.   Thomas RUTTY was born in Feb 1808 in Seend, Wiltshire. He was baptised on 28 Feb 1808 in Holy Cross & Bulkington, Seend, Wiltshire.
   +5   iv.   William Henry RUTTY, born May 1810, Seend, Wiltshire; married Unknown UNKNOWN, Dec 1854, Clerkenwell, London; died Cayman Islands.
   +6   v.   Mary Elizabeth RUTTY, born Jul 1812, Seend, Wiltshire; married Maurice EARLE, 25 Sep 1834, Holy Cross & Bulkington, Seend, Wiltshire; died Jun 1880, Melksham Registration District, Wiltshire.
   7   vi.   Catherine RUTTY was born in Dec 1814 in Seend, Wiltshire. She was baptised on 25 Dec 1814 in Holy Cross & Bulkington, Seend, Wiltshire. She died in 1820 at the age of 6 in Seend, Wiltshire.
   8   vii.   Maria RUTTY was born in May 1817 in Seend, Wiltshire. She was baptised on 4 May 1817 in Holy Cross & Bulkington, Seend, Wiltshire.
   +9   viii.   Catharine RUTTY, born Feb 1820, Seend, Wiltshire; married Charles FOOTE, 10 Jul 1854, Holy Cross & Bulkington, Seend, Wiltshire; died 5 Apr 1891, Peterborough Registration District, Cambridge.

ELIZABETH "Betty" RUTTY and CHARLES HEDGES were married on 14 May 1827 in St Michael, Melksham, Wiltshire. Marriage witnessed by Judith Salter & Caleb Angel CHARLES HEDGES, son of UNKNOWN HEDGES and UNKNOWN UNKNOWN, was born in 1803 in Melksham, Wiltshire. On 6 Jun 1841 he was a Digger in Shurnhold, Bath Road, Melksham, Wiltshire. On 30 Mar 1851 he was a Farm labourer in Shurnhold, Bath Road, Melksham, Wiltshire. On 7 Apr 1861 CHARLES was a Carman in Shurnhold, Bath Road, Melksham, Wiltshire. He was buried in Feb 1868 in Baptist Burial Ground, Melksham, Wiltshire. He died on 13 Feb 1868 at the age of 65 in Shurnhold, Bath Road, Melksham, Wiltshire.

CHARLES HEDGES and ELIZABETH RUTTY had the following children:
   +10   i.   WILLIAM HEDGES, born abt 1827, Melksham, Wiltshire; married GRACE WEBBER, 21 Dec 1856, St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, Somerset; died Jun 1873, Melksham, Wiltshire.
   +11   ii.   Mary Ann HEDGES, born 1830, Melksham, Wiltshire; married Robert SPENCER, 12 Feb 1853, St Michael, Melksham, Wiltshire; died Vernon, Tolland, Connecticut, United States.
   +12   iii.   Hester or Esther HEDGES, born 1833, Melksham, Wiltshire; married James WILLIS, Dec 1868, Registry Office, Bath, Somerset; died Mar 1918, Melksham Registration District, Wiltshire.
   13   iv.   John HEDGES was born in 1834 in Melksham, Wiltshire. On 30 Mar 1851 he was a Factory boy in Shurnhold, Bath Road, Melksham, Wiltshire. He died in Dec 1865 at the age of 31 in Melksham, Wiltshire.
   +14   v.   Rachael HEDGES, born 6 Jun 1839, Melksham, Wiltshire; married George KEEN, 19 Aug 1865, Helpit Chapel, Melksham, Wiltshire; died 4 Mar 1924, 3 Shurnhold, Bath Road, Melksham, Wiltshire.
   +15   vi.   Elizabeth "Eliza" HEDGES, born Mar 1842, Melksham, Wiltshire; married John WEST, 11 Jul 1871, St Michael, Melksham, Wiltshire; died Mar 1929, Melksham, Wiltshire.
   16   vii.   Thomas HEDGES was born in Sep 1843 in Melksham, Wiltshire. He died in Mar 1844 at the age of 0 in Melksham, Wiltshire.
   +17   viii.   Sarah HEDGES, born 2 Sep 1845, Melksham, Wiltshire; married Henry John REEVES, 1 Sep 1866, St Michael, Melksham, Wiltshire; died Mar 1928, Melksham Registration