Author Topic: Lock Road, Southwick?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lock Road, Southwick?
« on: Saturday 04 June 11 08:02 BST (UK) »
My relatives are shown in the 1881 and 1891 census living in Lock Road, Southwick.  I can't find it on Google, and was wondering if its still there.

Adjacent entries on the census are Albion Street and Butts Road, so I'm guessing it is/was near the old lock at the entrance to Shoreham Harbour.  They are later listed at Whiterock Road (Place ?) so they didn't move far.

My relative was a mariner working on a cargo brig sailing out of Shoreham, so I guess he needed to be close to work!

Any ideas of what the houses might have been like in Lock Road would also be much appreciated.

Hoping somebody with local knowledge may be able to help.

Cheers
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lock Road, Southwick?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
The 1949 & 1958 street directories have Lock Road, Southwick positioned between 143 Albion Street and Butts Road.  The Sir Robert Napier Public House was on the corner on the eastern side where the even numbers were (no 2) and the Scout hall was on the same side but at the other end,  Find pictures of either and you may see adjoining properties as a bonus.   The road, pub and hall do not appear in the 1970 street directory.  Roy G

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Old Maps site shows it on the 1:2500 map of 1912 , now the site of flats and as you say leading to the locks.  East side from harbour northwards - 7 houses and a club, on the west side, a pub then 12 houses. Houses both sides are drawn as terraced and an extension on the back , so look like the usual Victorian 2 up 2 down with a washouse on the back. Butts road joins it at the club on the NE end and Albion St at the S end. If you look on Google Earth sat photos  it is under the grey L shaped block just above the " St"  of Albion St - if only this site allowed copy & paste of links!!!
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks both of you for your prompt responses.  I haven't been able to find a photo of the street, but apparently this area was cleared in the 1950s as part of a slum clearance program.

At least I know the area, so that will have to be enough.

Tks again.
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords